What the heck is this!!??

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the night I used a flashlight to look for polyp extension on SPS frags, but instead I found many long white worm-like thick filaments protruding from two different holes in the rock. They waved around very slowly. Many were up to 3" long. By the time I decided to take a photo, most of them retracted, unfortunately, obviously not liking the light. (This rock came from the Gulf of Mexico and has been in the tank for 3 months).
In the photo you can see one "strand" remaining from the nearest hole. To the right and further back was another "set" of "worms" but in lesser numbers. There are two that can be seen in the photo.
Unless someone can identify these guys, with information as to whether or not they are harmful, I will take more photos tonight, this time having the camera ready to go. (I'm concerned that these "worms" may touch the frag to the right of the largest worm. There were at least a dozen of them protruding from the same hole before retracting because of the light.)
Thanks for helping!
Wormlike organism.JPG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of a brittle star with arms coming out of a rock. Do they have an underside with little prickles?

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of a brittle star with arms coming out of a rock. Do they have an underside with little prickles?
No....it is perfectly smooth. Very much like spaghetti worms but thicker. I'm wondering if they are some "sub-species" of spaghetti worm. (I do have spaghetti worms...the more common "thin" type in the same rock.....so maybe this is in some way related??

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Spare time, seems like brittle star arm. Without a better pic, it is kinda hard to say, but usually when people post pics of something sticking out of the rockwork in the way show in your pic, it is a brittle star.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Spare time, seems like brittle star arm. Without a better pic, it is kinda hard to say, but usually when people post pics of something sticking out of the rockwork in the way show in your pic, it is a brittle star.
The only thing is ……. they are perfectly smooth and white.....and there were about a dozen of them coming out of one hole.
Thanks guys for offering ideas!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried removing some of it to get a closer look?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cut off the "l" in html

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cut off the "l" in html
Wow...that's quite a collection of worms! Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it has to be in the spaghetti worm family.
Here's another pic I took last night.....
spaghetti worm .JPG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if you can pinch one with a pair of tongs and rip it out to get a closer look or picture. Honestly this is the strangest thing I have seen in a while

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back