WHAT THE TDS?!?

BRIGGZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, trying to get my head around this whole tds thing. I am very up to speed with fresh water fish keeping but this is my first time with a reef tank. To transport my new 500+ litre tank, I was only able to keep around a third of the water the rest had to be topped up with ocean water (clean area). Anyway my TDS is through the roof, 700+, and I am needing to get it down, the tank does not seem to be effected, however I would like to reduce this number. There is a small amount of ammonia but as I had one day to relocate the tank 300km and setup again in the same day I’m not surprised.
I need to add some fresh water to lower the salt level, sitting at .28, and have no RO supplier near by. I have a water filter at work, went and filled this and the water came out at 170 tds? Which I was surprised at, so then I just tested my tap water at home, whish is just down the road and it came out at 40. WHAT THE? Anyway just wondering what most people are running their tanks at, is 0 achievable and what are you doing to get it down, how badly does this effect fish and corals

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS is important when it comes to the water you use to mix your salt water. You want pure water to start with because there are lots of undesirable chemicals and nutrients in the water from tap that will cause unwanted algae in your reef

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting only 40ppm tds off your faucet you are lucky!!! That’s really really good. You could get a reverse osmosis filter system and it would last you a long time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Ok, really don’t understand why bother testing tds then.

TDS is a measure of all ions in the water. It is not in any way a measure of the suitability of water for a reef tank, since that tds might be ok things like sodium or not ok things like copper.

What is is very useful for is knowing that an ro/di system is functioning properly to remove everything, good and bad. 0 ppm tds water will be purified of any concerning impurities.

OP
OP
BRIGGZY

BRIGGZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok th
TDS is a measure of all ions in the water. It is not in any way a measure of the suitability of water for a reef tank, since that tds might be ok things like sodium or not ok things like copper.

What is is very useful for is knowing that an ro/di system is functioning properly to remove everything, good and bad. 0 ppm tds water will be purified of any concerning impurities.
thanks for the explanation Randy! Great info

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back