Softened water has 165 TDS

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the thread name says I have softened well water that tested at 165. My unsoftened water is about 150. I the TDS goes up after softening but would this be considered pretty decent before heading into the RODI?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not surprising water softener exchanges ions so there is normally not a difference in TDS before and after.

I am 380 after my softener

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get a softener cause my faucets were always clogging up and my showers and toilets were turning colors. Was a huge pain keeping that all clean.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get a softener cause my faucets were always clogging up and my showers and toilets were turning colors. Was a huge pain keeping that all clean.
Trying to convince my wife we need one. If I can reduce TDS to 250 or less I wouldn't have to change filters or resin as often.

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check to see if there is any salt in the water from your water softener. I know with mine I cannot use that water for my lawn. I'm not sure if it will affect your RO membrane.

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check to see if there is any salt in the water from your water softener. I know with mine I cannot use that water for my lawn. I'm not sure if it will affect your RO membrane.
From what I’ve read, yes there will be but the membrane can easily remove that verses the solids it replaced.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water softeners will not give much of a decrease in TDS. If any.

They will pull calcium and mag out of your water, bad for a reef tank? Maybe. Good for your house pipes, fixtures, and toilets? Absolutely.

You may see a small increase in sodium out of the tap but not significant enough to taste.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vegas city water has a tds of 585 sooooooooo.
That is because it is made up of the salty tears of losing gamblers ;)

I'm in Indiana and we squeeze our water from limestone rock. I'm pushing over 400 tds going into my membrane. Starting at 165 would be nice :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convinced Charlotte metro area has some of the best water. 45 TDS out of the tap.
I’ve heard Stanton island myself is the best.. it’s what makes ny pizza great! The water they mix the dough with..

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is because it is made up of the salty tears of losing gamblers ;)

I'm in Indiana and we squeeze our water from limestone rock. I'm pushing over 400 tds going into my membrane. Starting at 165 would be nice :)
Hoping I don’t have any co2 cause if not than my DI should hold up pretty well by the sounds of it

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the thread name says I have softened well water that tested at 165. My unsoftened water is about 150. I the TDS goes up after softening but would this be considered pretty decent before heading into the RODI?
My TDS is typically over 700 from the tap, lowest I've ever seen it is 425ish, so I think 165 ain't too bad.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I don’t have any co2 cause if not than my DI should hold up pretty well by the sounds of it
I found that I have high CO2 in the water. Rather than dealing with outgassing in a container, I just brute force it with separate cation and anion beds. I go through about $15 worth of anion resin every 200 gallons, but it looks like my cation and mixed bed cartridges are going to last forever. I'm 800 gallons in and virtually no sign of any color change in the other resins.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I thought my 550 was bad
It gets worse when it is hot for a long time. Here was last August when I was trying different value flow restrictors to see if I could extend the life of the DI beds longer.

TDS from the tap:
TDS-In.jpg
And at the output of the RO Membrane:
TDS-Post-Membrane.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back