RODI for softened Water

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright people, I’ve tried searching but haven’t come to any good conclusion. So I have hard well water, got a whole house water softener, also house pressure fluctuates from 40-60psi.

After looking over all the units I have no idea how many stages or filter combo I need. Pretty sure I’ll need a booster pump, I believe they help with efficiency(but not sure about helping filter lifespan).

So any help would be great!!

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes, you'll definitely need the booster pump.

You'll have more efficiency when you add multiple resin filters.

1- Sediment
2- Carbon
3- Carbon
4- RO
5- RO
6-DI 75GPD
7-DI 75GPD

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, you'll definitely need the booster pump.

You'll have more efficiency when you add multiple resin filters.

1- Sediment
2- Carbon
3- Carbon
4- RO
5- RO
6-DI 75GPD
7-DI 75GPD

Forgive my ignorance but after watching that video I don’t see why I would need dual carbon blocks especially since I have a personal well and not agriculture within 50 miles of me

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my personal opinion is you would probably want to check your actual TDS out of the tap before adding the extra carbon blocks to see if you really need it. If you have a low TDS and I'm assuming no chlorine/chloramine/metals etc. since it well water, a 4 stage will probably be plenty to get you to a zero TDS level. I think what he meant by booster pump was to add the extra membrane (the top horizontal canister). So when you add the extra membrane, you take the waste water (black tube) and run it from the first system through the additional membrane. So, rather than wasting all that black tube water you re-filter it, producing double the amount of blue tube(clean) water. Another option is to get a literal booster that increases the PSI output. You would probably need one of these options because your water pressure is so low that it will take FOREVER to get usable water through the RODI system.

Here are two videos I think may be helpful.

I hope this is helpful.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my personal opinion is you would probably want to check your actual TDS out of the tap before adding the extra carbon blocks to see if you really need it.

While I'm not sure dual carbon blocks are needed either, I'm not seeing how the incoming TDS relates to the need or benefit of the carbon block. :)

TDS is not appreciably altered by a carbon block, nor is TDS an indication of the need for one. :)

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm not sure dual carbon blocks are needed either, I'm not seeing how the incoming TDS relates to the need or benefit of the carbon block. :)

TDS is not appreciably altered by a carbon block, nor is TDS an indication of the need for one. :)
Hey Randy! My softened well water has a TDS of 165. With that said I did buy a 5 stage for the sole reason it was on sale for the same price as a 4 stage. First stage is a 1 micron sediment, then 2 carbon blocks. Do you think there would be any advantage of removing the first carbon block and replacing it with a sediment filter, or a variation of something different than I have now?

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy! My softened well water has a TDS of 165. With that said I did buy a 5 stage for the sole reason it was on sale for the same price as a 4 stage. First stage is a 1 micron sediment, then 2 carbon blocks. Do you think there would be any advantage of removing the first carbon block and replacing it with a sediment filter, or a variation of something different than I have now?
I have a well similar to yours although I do have agricultural very close to me. I run duel carbon blocks more for the peace of mind than anything. I also found that I typically need a booster pump running to get over 60 psi even with a large pressure tank. When no other water in the house is running and the pressure tank is full it’s fine. But if the tank is running low or other things in the house are using water I can drop as low as 40psi before my pump.

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well similar to yours although I do have agricultural very close to me. I run duel carbon blocks more for the peace of mind than anything. I also found that I typically need a booster pump running to get over 60 psi even with a large pressure tank. When no other water in the house is running and the pressure tank is full it’s fine. But if the tank is running low or other things in the house are using water I can drop as low as 40psi before my pump.
Yeah I have a booster pump on the way. Figured it was worth just getting every last bit of efficiency especially with the pressure fluctuations of being on a pressure tank.

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm on well water also, I've been using the BRS 5 stage RO/DI System for a little over a year now with good results. I did add a second DI Canister after 6-7 months for less frequent di resin changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back