What to add to new tank to boost it???

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rubble in a reactor what I’m going to boost future new builds. Cheaper and more pragmatic for me then live rock. Can also drop some around the tank.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a lot just a few pieces that will really Jumpstart your biome. Several vendors sell nice established ocean rock that they ship to you wet.
Do you have any experience with any that you would recommend and can share a link? Maybe I can start saving for a few pieces, to toss in my sump.

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180ml of patience every day

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this treatment weekly, I wish I had started doing it when I set up my tank instead of 6months into this adventure, I honestly feel this would have made a difference in biome development. I got this method off these forums, if I remember correctly I linked to this article in my build thread.

Coral Snow aka Flocculent Treatment.
The Snow;
I take 1/4 cup of Calcium Carbonate powder and mix it into a 500ml bottle of RO/DI water. Shake well before each use as some settling will occur. This is my base mixture. in a 360g system I add about 100ml of this each week to my tank with pumps shut off for about 30-45 minutes.

Additives, I like to add Microbacter7 to this mix, I put about 40ml of that into the Snow. As I understand it, the MB7 is food for bacteria, enzymes etc that promote growth of beneficial bacteria's in our tanks.

The MB7 binds with the Calc Carb, as the CC blankets everything in your tank, rock, glass, coral all of it, the MB7 is also applied to those surfaces.

I also add about 15ml selcon concentrate to this mix and 10ml ZEOFood Plus. Selcon is a food additive that promotes healthy immune systems and the zeofood helps promote slimecoat/biofilm production. Or that is my understanding of these products and what they do.

I don't run any floss or socks/matt etc. Skimmer is my only mechanical filtration. My water is crystal clear. This is a nice side effect of the snow, but what really has impressed me, 13 months into this venture and my rocks are purple, the coraline algae has really taken off in my tank on all my rock-work and I firmly believe this is due to the snow treatments coating that rock in beneficial bacteria boosters that helped that pretty purple stuff take hold and bloom.

Added bonus it helps to prevent ugly stage of tank maturity the author claimed. I believe him after having using this method on my tank.
I could probably cut down my frequency of treatments to bi-weekly, or monthly at this point, but I am a creature of pattern and habit i guess.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think best rock off there website would be to throw in my sump?
Depends on your space but I would go with a larger single piece instead of multiple small pieces but you want one or two rocks in the display also and you need to cure them first in a tote bucket to remove anything not good for the tank.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your space but I would go with a larger single piece instead of multiple small pieces but you want one or two rocks in the display also and you need to cure them first in a tote bucket to remove anything not good for the tank.
bigger hmm I thought smaller. Also how does one cure a live rock?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger hmm I thought smaller. Also how does one cure a live rock?
If you have one medium size rock in your sump chamber it's easy to move if you want to clean. Bunch of little rock rubble accumulates mulm and it's hard to clean without removing all the rubble. It's like using a bio brink instead of bio balls.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one medium size rock in your sump chamber it's easy to move if you want to clean. Bunch of little rock rubble accumulates mulm and it's hard to clean without removing all the rubble. It's like using a bio brink instead of bio balls.

Once i get this tank up will buy some. thanks for the info

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back