Worth to buy media bricks to seed future tank?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating what to do. Have a 55-gallon up now but want to set up my own tank in my room and not sure what size yet. But as I decide and find it would it be worth to get bio media and let it sit in my sump and move it over to jump-start my tank after the cycle?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Debating what to do. Have a 55-gallon up now but want to set up my own tank in my room and not sure what size yet. But as I decide and find it would it be worth to get bio media and let it sit in my sump and move it over to jump-start my tank after the cycle?
I do this with every new tank now. I have a few rocks cooking in my sump and ceramic media balls as well as bricks. It works beautifully to set up a new tank. Instant cycle as long as you make sure that you add livestock slowly.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this with every new tank now. I have a few rocks cooking in my sump and ceramic media balls as well as bricks. It works beautifully to set up a new tank. Instant cycle as long as you make sure that you add livestock slowly.
What kind of bricks and ceramic balls are you using? Also do you add water and add the media and that’s your cycle. Or do you add the ammonia and let it even out and then add the media?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not necessary.

You can just float some sponge or filter floss media in your existing sump and toss it in the new tank when you need it.

That's how I quick cycle a QT.

If you're using live rock in the new tank you don't even need to do that, just run the new tank with the live rock for a week or so and then toss in some CUC.

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeding a tank is worth it but not with a media/ceramic brick, 20ppi or 30ppi foam will do the job and at a fraction of the cost.

Almost all filter media is snake oil, Marine Pure, Matrix, Biohome, Bakki rods etc… they work but are just over priced and claim all kinds of ludicrous non sense.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeding a tank is worth it but not with a media/ceramic brick, 20ppi or 30ppi foam will do the job and at a fraction of the cost.

Almost all filter media is snake oil, Marine Pure, Matrix, Biohome, Bakki rods etc… they work but are just over priced and claim all kinds of ludicrous non sense.

I get the point your making, but I want to point out a product is not snake oil if it actually works. I have used matrix to seed tanks instantly, I have also used live rock and live sand transfers. Did one work better than the other? No. But I can’t always take rock and sand from my main tank, and having a pouch of matrix, or some ceramic media blocks in the sump makes for an easy swap to the new tank and has no impact on the current tank or display.

I use these, 17$, and was enough to load up my 15g Waterbox, my 75g, and have enough for an 83g I’m going to start. As I move them to a new tank, I just put new ones in their place and let them reseed

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U do u, but anything sold as overpriced pumice or with ludicrous claims is snake oil to me. As others have stated a 25cent piece of foam can seed a tank ;-)

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U do u, but anything sold as overpriced pumice or with ludicrous claims is snake oil to me. As others have stated a 25cent piece of foam can seed a tank ;-)

I like the media blocks because they don’t catch detritus. And maybe it’s ocd but I like how they stack / line up evenly in my sump

Studies have been done on nitrifying bacteria surface area colonization and you know what came out on top…dollar store pot scrubbers :)

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the point your making, but I want to point out a product is not snake oil if it actually works. I have used matrix to seed tanks instantly, I have also used live rock and live sand transfers. Did one work better than the other? No. But I can’t always take rock and sand from my main tank, and having a pouch of matrix, or some ceramic media blocks in the sump makes for an easy swap to the new tank and has no impact on the current tank or display.

I use these, 17$, and was enough to load up my 15g Waterbox, my 75g, and have enough for an 83g I’m going to start. As I move them to a new tank, I just put new ones in their place and let them reseed
What was 17 bucks that was able to seed all of those tanks? Link?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the media blocks because they don’t catch detritus. And maybe it’s ocd but I like how they stack / line up evenly in my sump

Studies have been done on nitrifying bacteria surface area colonization and you know what came out on top…dollar store pot scrubbers :)
Do you have a link to this thread or read it? Also does any generic scrubber work or is there things to stay away from?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with a bunch of Marine Pure ceramic cubes. ICP tests showed up with elevated aluminum so I removed them entirely. Since removal, aluminum has been greatly reduced.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i originally started with marine pure bio balls, bricks, and cubes. slowly transitioned into maxspect spheres/blocks. they seem much sturdier and haven't read any reports of elevated aluminum in ICP tests. hygger and sera siporax bio media seem to be good, cheap choices.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to this thread or read it? Also does any generic scrubber work or is there things to stay away from?

I do have a link

Now, it’s bias against matrix due to personal reasons and exaggerated claims, but the data is valid. And it’s clear matrix is not the best or cheapest choice

I do think matrix works fine if you want to buy it, and I also acknowledge there are cheaper and better products. I keep a bag of matrix in my 75g display tanks sump, and over the last 6 months I’ve started a 32g hospital / qt tank and a pico reef. Both times I avoided cycles completely by taking that bag of matrix from my 75 and throwing it in the filter compartments of the 32 and 1.1g pico. Both tanks never went through a cycle. The matrix that’s transferred I leave in place on the new tanks, and I replace what I borrow with new matrix.

Now, I have always felt a drawback of matrix (which is mentioned in the article) is that water needs to flow through the media for it to be seeded properly. I always get the feeling that most flows around the media bag as it’s the path of least resistance and some water flows through. I try to minimize this by putting it on a media shelf in my sump where all water needs to flow through, but I still feel a lot of the water just goes around. Regardless, enough matrix gets what it needs to work.

For my latest build, I am not using matrix. Gasp! I’m actually not a fanboy of matrix! I just like it for convenience and from experience of it working for me.

I have switched to reefin art ceramic media blocks. These have larger pores than matrix, and a hollow center channel, which would address a lot of the articles complaints against matrix. They are also reef safe and aluminum free

0039020A-765F-435B-9923-7FB2757FA7CE.png

2CFE14C9-BCC6-4413-A0E3-0EE89A280799.png

The issue is, that center hole needs water to flow THROUGH it, or it becomes a stagnant zone or detritus trap. For my new build I found a way to prop them in my sump that forces water to flow through. You could also 3d print a rack that holds them in a grid or whatever pattern works best for your setup.

With my setup they are a perfect fit and all water flows into the sock chamber and then is forced to pass both around and through all of the media bricks. These can easily be removed and transferred to new tanks, and replaced as needed.

29080FF1-5E44-4C32-8826-95E4189DB92F.jpeg
364CBA84-71DB-4F94-AE96-9744CCA77A80.jpeg
7858EB29-2C48-4416-BCCF-84902E88E582.jpeg
3A6E5BA8-FC28-46E2-8D83-6C122890F473.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw some extra small pieces of rock to seed and use when needed.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a need to buy "media" either unless you find it convenient. As several other folks here have indicated, I prefer to just move some rocks and sand over.

If you are going to use anything like a "pot scrubber" just make sure that you wash it well. Many come pre-wetted or with industrial residue (release agents, etc.)

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They do look cool stacked up.

I have used everything over the years, Live Rock, Matrix, Marinepure, Poret Foam, Ceramic Rings, Bricks, K1, K2 media.

I’ve not looked into price for years but from memory some of the mini bricks are reasonably priced and don’t have ridiculous claims like Seachem or Cermedia.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a link

Now, it’s bias against matrix due to personal reasons and exaggerated claims, but the data is valid. And it’s clear matrix is not the best or cheapest choice

I do think matrix works fine if you want to buy it, and I also acknowledge there are cheaper and better products. I keep a bag of matrix in my 75g display tanks sump, and over the last 6 months I’ve started a 32g hospital / qt tank and a pico reef. Both times I avoided cycles completely by taking that bag of matrix from my 75 and throwing it in the filter compartments of the 32 and 1.1g pico. Both tanks never went through a cycle. The matrix that’s transferred I leave in place on the new tanks, and I replace what I borrow with new matrix.

Now, I have always felt a drawback of matrix (which is mentioned in the article) is that water needs to flow through the media for it to be seeded properly. I always get the feeling that most flows around the media bag as it’s the path of least resistance and some water flows through. I try to minimize this by putting it on a media shelf in my sump where all water needs to flow through, but I still feel a lot of the water just goes around. Regardless, enough matrix gets what it needs to work.

For my latest build, I am not using matrix. Gasp! I’m actually not a fanboy of matrix! I just like it for convenience and from experience of it working for me.

I have switched to reefin art ceramic media blocks. These have larger pores than matrix, and a hollow center channel, which would address a lot of the articles complaints against matrix. They are also reef safe and aluminum free

0039020A-765F-435B-9923-7FB2757FA7CE.png

2CFE14C9-BCC6-4413-A0E3-0EE89A280799.png

The issue is, that center hole needs water to flow THROUGH it, or it becomes a stagnant zone or detritus trap. For my new build I found a way to prop them in my sump that forces water to flow through. You could also 3d print a rack that holds them in a grid or whatever pattern works best for your setup.

With my setup they are a perfect fit and all water flows into the sock chamber and then is forced to pass both around and through all of the media bricks. These can easily be removed and transferred to new tanks, and replaced as needed.

29080FF1-5E44-4C32-8826-95E4189DB92F.jpeg
364CBA84-71DB-4F94-AE96-9744CCA77A80.jpeg
7858EB29-2C48-4416-BCCF-84902E88E582.jpeg
3A6E5BA8-FC28-46E2-8D83-6C122890F473.jpeg

But all the bio filtration your tank could ever need is supplied by a piece of ocean reef rock, and it looks better too.

All these types of products are sold on the basis that more bio available area is better, which is not true. Bacteria will multiply until they are nutrient limited, and then they stop.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
All these types of products are sold on the basis that more bio available area is better, which is not true. Bacteria will multiply until they are nutrient limited, and then they stop.
i believe the gimmick now is that there is also space available for the microfauna(pods, etc) to populate and reproduce in. granted they can, and will do the same with live rock. and that it aids in "flow" due to the very porous design of it. but, i digress

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was 17 bucks that was able to seed all of those tanks? Link?

Yes. One box is enough for 200g. You get 24 in a box. I had 12 left over and that what happened to fit perfect, the tank is 83g + sump so this should be an ideal amount.

My 15g im using 2 or 3. I didn’t recount way is in my current 75g sump but by math it appears to be 10

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But all the bio filtration your tank could ever need is supplied by a piece of ocean reef rock, and it looks better too.

I agree but I do not want to remove rock or sand from my display. And I prefer not to remove rock from my sump. I buy these with the intent to move bacteria easily and to be able to have them organized and placed nicely in my sumps

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back