Ammonia to high while cycling?

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On day six dosing seachem seed as directed by bottle. I added a good sized 3-5lb piece of live rock from my established tank of two years and quite a bit of bio media. Is this getting to high to stall cycle? Not sure why it’s so high it’s a 40g breeder with a 25 gallon sump. All rock in display is dry
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
On day six dosing seachem seed as directed by bottle. I added a good sized 3-5lb piece of live rock from my established tank of two years and quite a bit of bio media. Is this getting to high to stall cycle? Not sure why it’s so high it’s a 40g breeder with a 25 gallon sump. All rock in display is dry
image.jpg
While seed is a good products, there are more effective such as Microbacter XLM or 7
With a fishless cycle, you want to add ammonia chloride initially then allow ammonia to rise then fall on its own to allow bacteria to establish, and when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add 0 nitrites and about 10ppm nitrate. It’s showing tons of ammonia idk if it’s from the live rock or media or fish food I fed so the ammonia being introduced isn’t my issue. Just didn’t know with such high spike if it will stall.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
No, it's not too high. Apparently the bacterial population changes at about 8 to 10ppm ammonia, that's nowhere near that. It can take a little while for old seasoned rock to ramp up, no matter what you hear.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back