What to do about half dead acropora

Billymetz135

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2014
Messages
35
Reaction score
2
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i just bought a acro that was in bad health but i got a great deal on it. half of it is dead and has algae growing on it. so my question is, is it best to let it grow around the dead parts or should i cut them it off? heres a picture of it taken with my iPhone. any input would be helpful.
Thanks bill.
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg
 
It stopped decaying, its all healed up now its just has the ugly brown algea growing on the dead part.

My monti did something similar. I just let it be. I lost 3/4th of it. The skeleton has been an algae magnet. Every so often I'll blow off what I can and leave it be. I noticed yesterday that there are growth lines and I'm excited about that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new