What to do differently on a bare bottom tank?

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im setting up an AIO nano SPS tank. I’m going to go bare bottom so I can increase flow. What do I need to do differently in this tank? This is my first tank with no sand. It will have plenty of Liverock but should I add some bio media?? Is there anything else I need to do different???

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing special you need to do since your rock also hold bacteria

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something that I have always added to my tanks is siporax, it helps add a good amount of surface area without taking up a lot of space. In my red sea reefer I have it in my sump and my IM 25 I have it in the media baskets.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't need to do anything else. I went bare bottom and will never turn back. You'll notice that parameters are much easier to maintain with bare bottom. Good luck and send pics!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll need to watch some of your livestock choices to be sure you don't get something that needs sand.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing you should do is feed your tank way better than sand tanks can feed

Blast it in, circulate it, then rip it out as detritus since it won't be in your sand storing up, making you feed less as age sets in (whereas the reef wants more with more coral mass)

Last edited:

donomite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use some sort of live rock otherwise your cycle takes forever. Just got done with mine. I used all stax and no live sand or rock. Only Red Sea mature tank. It worked well, however it took far longer than previous BB cycles using live media of some sort. My two cents.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions here. One other thing to consider is that without regular maintenance, a bare-bottom tank doesn't stay bare-bottomed for long. Mulm and detritus (and often even actual new sand particles) accumulate quite quickly on the bottom, and need to be siphoned out with (probably) every water change. It's a good idea to lay out your rockscaping accordingly to make sure you haven't created some areas that are really difficult to reach with a siphon.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime its best to get rock that sits off the bottom. Rock like tonga branch. This prevents detritus from accumulating.

Also a good plastic scrubbing brush is needed on the bottom once every 2 months or so.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sand bottom acts a nutrient buffer IMO. It stores some NO3 and PO4. Rock also stores nutrient. For many reefers, that becomes a problem over time. But if you run your water too clean, those nutrients gradually leach back into the water, so nutrients don't bottom out as quickly.

Without sand, there is less stored nutrient available when your water gets "too clean".

Finally getting to the point: feed more in BB setup than you would in an equivalent sand bottom setup. I find I must dose nitrates and phosphates to my bare bottom systems, and never have to dose my sand system.

OP
OP
russell13

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind I looked it up.

I have a piece of acrylic that was a lid for my old tank. Do you you all think this would work on the bottom??

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have used acrylic and it’s curled because of the lights and the fact acrylic won’t bond with silicone. I just used 1/4 hdpe on my new build
9DF14DA5-985A-47C9-93DE-1148FB512661.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple threads about ABS, HDPE and acrylic used on bare bottom tanks. Also there are a few threads about how this stuff warps, twists, and curls. Also they trap junk under them if they are not properly sealed. When things went south with these coverings people had to rip everything out, fix clean and redo or just go true bare bottom.

I looked at all those and I made the call to forgo the potential problems. I have my aquascape right on the bottom glass. To keep pieces from falling I mortared, epoxied and glued parts together.

You need to do your own assessment of risk vs reward.

As for ease of use I plan to use a couple powerheads to help keep the bottom clean and free of junk, I.E. lots of flow. During my weekly maintenance a portable powerhead will be used to blow the stuff out of the nooks and crannies.

I wish I could speak from experience but I don’t even have water in my new tank. What I can say is I researched and researched and made my own decisions on what will be best for me.

Also rock does hold bacteria, but to help get the tank stable I am going to be adding rubble and marine pure to the sump to give me more surface area.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a barebottom tank and agree with the recommendations to use a sheet of HDPE or something similar on the bottom and seal it around the edges to keep anything from collecting under it. I went with black, and it was covered in coralline until I went overboard with urchins :) I don't miss having sand a bit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back