What to do if eel dosen't eat

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my snowflake eel for 2 months now and he is doing fine. Got him to eat after a day or two, ate everything I gave him squid, mysis, shrimp etc. He ate the previous week and had a full belly. Now when I fed the tank he had a feeding response but didn't eat, I don't feed the tank all the time and when I do, it's when my puffers hungry. When I saw my eel he had a thinner stomach, looking like a dehydrated grape. This is the first time it's happened, he didn't eat one time but then the next time he did eat, but if push comes to shove what would I do if he stops eating.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try live food

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hits so close to home. I didn't see my golden dwarf eat for 2 months. I had a feeling he was nibbling on things (he was in QT for a month) but I finally saw him eat a silverslide.

Just keep offering food daily. They will eat when they want. They are amazing creatures and can go months (alligators can go a year) without eating.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had my snowflake eel for 2 months now and he is doing fine. Got him to eat after a day or two, ate everything I gave him squid, mysis, shrimp etc. He ate the previous week and had a full belly. Now when I fed the tank he had a feeding response but didn't eat, I don't feed the tank all the time and when I do, it's when my puffers hungry. When I saw my eel he had a thinner stomach, looking like a dehydrated grape. This is the first time it's happened, he didn't eat one time but then the next time he did eat, but if push comes to shove what would I do if he stops eating.
They are slow to digest food and will shut down if full, but also are responsive to rise in Nitrates. As they are messy housekeepers, assure nitrate has not gotten too high. Also assure PH has not become acidic (below 7.8)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get live ghost shrimp or fiddler crabs you can try those. They are similar to what a snowflake would eat in the wild.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back