What to do...?

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here's my pickle ...

Got a 125 that is filled with Dino now all of a sudden. Started looking into what to do to get rid of it, BUT I am getting set to take a job down south for about 3 months, in which time my buddy (SPS reefer) is going to take the sps frags for me and watch after them in a small frag tank. The rocks, few fish I have I am not worried about (selling the fish and just drying out the rocks) ...

...so I was due to take this tank down any day now anyways. So no point in looking into how to cure this. My questions are ...(and quite possibly dumb questions as this situation I have never gone thru before) are:

* When setting up the frag tank do I need to take some of the old water and use just a little of that as "start up" water and add that to the new water so it cycles? And if so, am I not just then transferring the dino right into the frag tank?

* When setting up the frag tank, can I just set it up in a large bin or something and have the skimmer off to the side in the same tank/bin? I am just not looking forward to having to get holes drilled in the 55, have a little sump with the skimmer below , etc. Looking for a simple way to do this without spending more money, because right now my patience with this hobby and my 10 years I have into it is not very strong.

Thanks and look forward to your thoughts!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would take water and a rock or two from a friends tank.........50% of your frag tank volume if you can. Top off with fresh mixed saltwater. Transfer your frags into it that way.
No reason to even take a chance. You don't need a lot of rock.......maybe 5-10 pounds.

You could also nab some clean rock from a store, maybe from Dan at Salty Critter. Use some aged water from your friends tank.

As for the tank I'm sure a bin would work okay with skimmer. Or you can nab a standard old school U tube overflow box. I'm sure someone locally has one laying around collecting dust. A small tank as a sump or a storage container from Walmart are cheap and easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take water and a rock or two from a friends tank.........50% of your frag tank volume if you can. Top off with fresh mixed saltwater. Transfer your frags into it that way.
No reason to even take a chance. You don't need a lot of rock.......maybe 5-10 pounds.

You could also nab some clean rock from a store, maybe from Dan at Salty Critter. Use some aged water from your friends tank.
Hey whats the good word E ... how are ya buddy.

Ok that is what I will do ... I live right across the street from Best In Pets in Lakewood, and while not a dedicated saltwater store, they do have a good selection of stuff, thriving corals and rock and I have a great relationship with the family that owns it... so that is what I will do!

Also, where should the skimmer come into play? What are my options there?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria for the cycle is in the rock/sand, not the water. However, depending on the type of Dino’s you have, the Dino’s may be in the water. I wouldn’t use anything from the tank with Dino’s in another tank for fear of spreading the Dino’s to the frag tank. JMO.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All good advice. Thank you.

You think I can just prop the skimmer right into a 55 gallon? (obviously propped up to the correct height)

You can I guess if you keep the tank level consistent. You don't have to fill it all the way up.

Don't be remiss about using the conditioned water..............it's important. I've seen people swap over tanks with the same rock and lose acros because they used all new water. You can also experience bacterial blooms........they are mostly harmless, but it's telling you that you're messing with the bacterial balance of the tank.

Some skimmers can cause micro bubbles everywhere ............something that doesn't show up in a display when you have a sump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back