What to expect using the frozen shrimp method?

CalypZooReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
26
Location
The Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about the progress of my Biome Cycle. I’m using the frozen shrimp method in my new aquarium. Additionally, I’m using CaribSea Live Sand, MicroLift Special Blend Bacteria, and Aqua Forest Bio Fil.

I’m not impatient and plan to wait and see how things develop. However, I’d like to know if I should leave the frozen shrimp in my aquarium or not. In some YouTube videos, I’ve seen people remove them after just a few days.

The shrimp (two pieces) have been in my tank for a week now, but I haven’t noticed much happening yet. The shrimp are starting to break down slightly, but nothing dramatic (see photo). I test the water parameters every other day, but I’m not seeing much change there either. Nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, and ammonia are very low or undetectable. I’m using the Hanna Marine Master and Salifert test for ammonia.

For now, I’ll keep waiting, but I’m curious when I might start to see changes.
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-24 at 10.20.47 (3).jpeg
 
I used to do the frozen shrimp, but I never measured anything. A week is more than long enough. When conditions are right, nitrification bacteria double in population every 20 minutes.

What other livestock is going into the tank?
 
The frozen shrimp method isn't what I'd consider patience, but more using older methods. The idea is to get your ammonia to 2PPM...that's far easier if you just dose ammonia. I don't think there's any benefit to the "shrimp method".
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new