What To Hold Live Rubble Rock In For Sump?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I will be receiving my TBS live rubble rock soon and wanted to hear from the experienced reefers what “container” they use to hold it in the sump. Since it’s not large pieces, but about the size of walnut to golf ball size, I don’t want them moving around and possibly displacing equipment or hitting the sides of the glass. It’s only about six pounds of rock.

Appreciate feedback from reefers who use the smaller rock.

Thank you!!

Jennifer

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

square shape fits nicely in sump, buy are kinda small.

Bigger but round, may not fit in your sump. Probably make square ones and other sizes but these are the ones I have used.

another:

Thanks Ptrusk ! The round one is too big, but one of those square options might be just right. Have to see once rock shipment arrives.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ptrusk ! The round one is too big, but one of those square options might be just right. Have to see once rock shipment arrives.
Happy to help. If you look on Amazon, they come in many sizes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi All,
I will be receiving my TBS live rubble rock soon and wanted to hear from the experienced reefers what “container” they use to hold it in the sump. Since it’s not large pieces, but about the size of walnut to golf ball size, I don’t want them moving around and possibly displacing equipment or hitting the sides of the glass. It’s only about six pounds of rock.

Thank you!!

Jennifer
At the dollar stores for desks:

1697831870191.png

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the dollar stores for desks:

1697831870191.png
Hehe, I’m not in the monster tank club - that’s almost the size of my entire sump. I should have prefaced it’s a Red Sea 350, small in the tank world I’ve come to realize.

Thank you though for responding with a suggestion

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hehe, I’m not in the monster tank club - that’s almost the size of my entire sump. I should have prefaced it’s a Red Sea 350, small in the tank world I’ve come to realize.

Thank you though for responding with a suggestion
These are 6" X 6" - they are miniature milk crates with lots of flow through potential

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are 6" X 6" - they are miniature milk crates with lots of flow through potential
Ahhhh, I couldn’t tell by the picture. See, this is why I ask the experts - ya don’t know what ya don’t know. Thank you Vetteguy!

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Thank you!!

Jennifer
Thank you everyone who made suggestions on basket options! I went with this one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw0wZDlsLFr-Hubqc0LUfXZJ&opi=89978449

Fits perfectly and have room for all the TBS rubble (a few more to add in this picture.

Attachments

• F5642364-0C01-4973-90AC-6F33C84E7630.jpeg
    F5642364-0C01-4973-90AC-6F33C84E7630.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 13

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like above pond baskets, or net pots from hydoponics store, ive built stuff out of eggcrate/light diffuser.

I’ve done this to an entire section of my sump. Have a few pieces of 1” PVC pipe cut up and scattered over the base for support and then an eggcrate sheet on top fitted to the size of the compartment with a bunch of rubble on top of that.

Water flows in the base, filters up through the rubble (used as a pod farm), and then out the top into the return compartment.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this to an entire section of my sump. Have a few pieces of 1” PVC pipe cut up and scattered over the base for support and then an eggcrate sheet on top fitted to the size of the compartment with a bunch of rubble on top of that.

Water flows in the base, filters up through the rubble (used as a pod farm), and then out the top into the return compartment.
I do the same with the pipe under it. I like to make sides on them though and make a couple to make them movable to either rinse or start a new system.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back