What to read/watch in order to start a frag tank?

Coach Car

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've been spending around 6 months learning about reef tanks. In the past couple of months I've spent anywhere from 2 to 4 hours a day learning about them (in the past month I've spent around 5 hours a day!). I recently got very interested in frag tanks, and I'm thinking about using my first tank as one. I know this isn't where beginners usually start (I've read about three dozen threads to that effect, haha), but I'm very interested in this as it seems fun. Is there any website, or book, or YouTube series I should be reading/watching in order to learn more about this? I just purchased Anthony Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation"; is there anything else I should read/watch?

P.S; do we need two accounts? My mother and I have been using this account together (I'm 18) and I was wondering if I need a separate account? My mom has been the one communicating when we were purchasing something, but I've been the one asking general questions on the forums, haha.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a license. Not sure about any crazy Cali laws but you should be able to sell without any government involvement. But you need to keep it in first gear and not get ahead of yourself. Don’t buy a frag tank expecting to sell corals without any Reefing experience. Go get yourself a tank and enjoy it. Learn from your mistakes and see how well you can run a reef tank. Then decide if you are able and want to grow coral as a side business. You don’t want to invest into something and have high expectations without much experience/knowledge. Hobby before business… Best of Luck to you!

OP
OP
C

Coach Car

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a license. Not sure about any crazy Cali laws but you should be able to sell without any government involvement. But you need to keep it in first gear and not get ahead of yourself. Don’t buy a frag tank expecting to sell corals without any Reefing experience. Go get yourself a tank and enjoy it. Learn from your mistakes and see how well you can run a reef tank. Then decide if you are able and want to grow coral as a side business. You don’t want to invest into something and have high expectations without much experience/knowledge. Hobby before business… Best of Luck to you!
Okay! I'm thinking I'll read the whole book, and then start something super small. I'll spend a couple months learning using that and then see how I do.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back