Cycle with filter floss as food

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm writing with a certain thought (which I'm not sure is accurate), so soon my aquarium will be ready for pickup. Almost everything has been purchased. And here came to me a certain thought, and I've probably spent about 6 hours searching and reading topics. I'm starting on dry rock, but I'll fill the sump (about 100 liters) with water from changes from the current aquarium, probably also dry sand. So, in connection with this, I'm considering dosing bacteria that would help start the aquarium. And here I've read/watched many descriptions of bacteria, and I became interested in the ATM Colony bacteria, and here's the question. Do ATM Colony bacteria need fish or something that would produce food for the bacteria, and now I have a cascading filter in which I often change the floss. So, in essence, if I were to pour such ATM Colony and, for example, squeezed the floss into the tank to "feed" the bacteria, would that practically work and speed up the cycle or make it better?

It's probably a silly idea, but now I can't stop thinking about it.

Best regards and have a nice day.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for example, squeezed the floss into the tank to "feed" the bacteria, would that practically work and speed up the cycle or make it better?
squeezing the filter floss into the tank would likely add nitrifying bacteria, but not add food. nitrifiers need ammonia, nitrite or proteins/aminos/fish food that breaks down into ammonia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back