What type of flatworm and solution

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pros out there that can verify the species of flatworm I have here?
—Brownish-purple in colour.
—they love mushroom corals only
—Melanarus wrasse, leopard wrasse, and mandarin will not touch them.
They aren’t really hurting anything but are kinda unsightly.

167 g system
50 gallon refugium
40 gallon sump , rollermat, protein skimmer.
low nutrient system —.07 phos / 6ppm nitrate

what other creatures eat these critters? Nudibranches are hard to find where I’m located in Canada due to poor shipping.

I really don’t wanna use flatworm exit, but these guys are pushing my limits lol manual removal in this tank is tedious…..

many alternative methods or creatures to combat this?

7035C968-56B2-471D-8384-F6A124205319.jpeg 719B7F9B-2EF9-4945-B95A-8EE8D5FA1B0E.jpeg

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you remove the corals to dip? If not, I would just suck them out with airline tubing. Feeding less will slow their progress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any pros out there that can verify the species of flatworm I have here?
—Brownish-purple in colour.
—they love mushroom corals only
—Melanarus wrasse, leopard wrasse, and mandarin will not touch them.
They aren’t really hurting anything but are kinda unsightly.

167 g system
50 gallon refugium
40 gallon sump , rollermat, protein skimmer.
low nutrient system —.07 phos / 6ppm nitrate

what other creatures eat these critters? Nudibranches are hard to find where I’m located in Canada due to poor shipping.

I really don’t wanna use flatworm exit, but these guys are pushing my limits lol manual removal in this tank is tedious…..

many alternative methods or creatures to combat this?

7035C968-56B2-471D-8384-F6A124205319.jpeg 719B7F9B-2EF9-4945-B95A-8EE8D5FA1B0E.jpeg
These look like polyclad flatworms. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like polyclad flatworms. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png
I must add that I have a Melanarus wrasse, leopard wrasse, and forgot that I actually have 2 Springers damsel and a mandarin. None of which touch the flatworms.

also the only coral these guys touch are mushrooms.
they don’t touch zoas, acros, montis, LPS or leathers.

just weird that’s all they touch and the wrasses especially won’t touch them.
I am reluctant to add a sixline with the other wrasses in the tank as it could start a war…especially with my boisterous Melanarus wrasse who is on the territorial side

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR

1678293158905.png
I guess manual removal will be the key , although tedious in a 72Lx30W set up.

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it makes you feel better, I have the EXACT same problem. Only on mushrooms, specifically Discosoma and Rhodactis. Won’t touch my Ricordias or Bounces.

Melanarus wrasse, mystery wrasse, and springieri wouldn’t touch them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I must add that I have a Melanarus wrasse, leopard wrasse, and forgot that I actually have 2 Springers damsel and a mandarin. None of which touch the flatworms.

also the only coral these guys touch are mushrooms.
they don’t touch zoas, acros, montis, LPS or leathers.

just weird that’s all they touch and the wrasses especially won’t touch them.
I am reluctant to add a sixline with the other wrasses in the tank as it could start a war…especially with my boisterous Melanarus wrasse who is on the territorial side
Wrasses are hit and miss. The damsels should have been on them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back