What type of leds do i use ?

edc_aquarium

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2017
Messages
383
Reaction score
167
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be replacing my leds in my led black boxs and i dont know what leds to get. Heres some pictures of them
ca0038d13cb863e366e9b39b8b85490f.jpg
4f458430c3bfbb5c02ad2e73fc79e103.jpg
 
I think they use 3w leds. You'll have to find leds that aren't mounted on stars.
 
How did your project turn out?

I'm doing this as well. Those little 3w LED's are all over ebay and Amazon. They're Chinese diodes, but so are the ones we're replacing.
I'm going to buy a solder sucker and a nice pen soldering iron. I like being able to customize the colors, but I have no idea how many reds, yellows and greens to use.
 
I've been modifying my viparspectra black box as well. I went with 3w epistar leds on ebay, go with a US supplier so they didn't take a month to get here but they're all the same chinese leds, I used a solder wick but thats just what I prefer. Use rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal paste and put a fresh dab under the new led, I used Arctic MX-4 it's what I had left over from a pc build, any thermal paste should work. So far I've replaced 12 of the white leds with 2-395nm, 4-415nm, and 6-425nm and its pretty close to the blue I'm going for visually.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new