What type of polyp is this?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I see your edit and Sanjay would never tell people to throw them out he would do as @Crabs McJones suggested and gift them or sell them.

If it's the kind of plays Sanjay had, he would not pass them along.

He has always said to try to toss those kind out, but it's hard once those kind spread in an established reef.

Joshua M Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the kind of plays Sanjay had, he would not pass them along.

He has always said to try to toss those kind out, but it's hard once those kind spread in an established reef.

I have been reefing since 2010 and this is the first time I have ever seen such talk of Palys/Zoas. GoVols can you explain to me how this happens? Is it if the Palys/Zoas start to die they become a problem for other corals? So basically if they are healthy they will not hurt anything else?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing since 2010 and this is the first time I have ever seen such talk of Palys/Zoas. GoVols can you explain to me how this happens? Is it if the Palys/Zoas start to die they become a problem for other corals? So basically if they are healthy they will not hurt anything else?

If certain types of plays feel threatened they can go into defense mode and release their toxins.

I have personally seen the Aquatic Critters bio-pellet reactor get off on one there most prized displays, which made that one kind of species go off and in under 24 hours that tank was a total loss.

They knew that species could be lethal, but it had spread so much, it would have been a total rebuild to get that species out.

Have also seen tiny micro bubbles agitate them to the point were the same thing happened too.

That is the two times that I've seen it, but I'm sure not expert in pick out play species.

Have on prob with Zoas, but will take a pass on a play species that I don't know, all day long.

If @Shep would like to get in, then fire away.

Last edited:

Joshua M Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If certain types of plays feel threatened they can go into defense mode and release their toxins.

I have personally seen the Aquatic Critters bio-pellet reactor get off on one there most prized displays, which made that one kind of specs go off and in under 24 hours that tank was a total loss.

They knew that species could be lethal, but it had spread so much, it would have been a total rebuild to get that species out.
So is it just Palys then? Not Zoas?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it just Palys then? Not Zoas?

Certain types species of plays in my book, but not an expert in picking those species for another. They all have toxins, but some are like a nuclear bomb when they do go off.

lol
If you want a semi refund for doing what I would have done, then shoot me a pm... ;Joyful

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain palys have this toxin. Not all.

It takes certain circumstances for them to cause problems as well.

Fraging these can be dangerous and needs to be done with the utmost caution. Think handling dangerous chemicals type of caution.

Don't expose to air. To avoid atomizing any toxin that may or may not be present. No one knows if toxins are there or not on a particular paly. Play it safe.

Do not expose to hot water. For the reasons above.

If you do want to dispose of a rock with suspected paly toxin, wrap it in plastic to prevent anything else from being contaminated. Don't want the garbage man or random wildlife coming into contact with anything suspect.

That said, I would have kept those in question. They kinda do look like Mohawks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back