Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, good to know. I also have these not sure what type these are though
IMG_20190730_155848031.jpeg

Won't be able to tell what type of Paly they are until they open up for you.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least sell the rock with palys on it or gift it to a fellow reefer

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here who throws out coral or tells other people to throw out coral is a dunce.

I have personally seen two reefs get totally distrusted in under 24 hours when "certain" types of plays have kicked in.

Obliviously you have not, but it sure heatbreaking to watching another go down like that.

Even Sanjay has lost entire reef due to plays. Is he a dunce too?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally seen two reefs get totally distrusted in under 24 hours when "certain" types of plays have kicked in.

Obliviously you have not, but it sure heatbreaking to watching another go down like that.

Even Sanjay has lost entire reef due to plays. Is he a dunce too?
Also I see your edit and Sanjay would never tell people to throw them out he would do as @Crabs McJones suggested and gift them or sell them.

OP
OP
Mike1976

Mike1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i run carbon right now?
You should always run carbon and change it monthly or maybe quicker when having palys or zoas as it removes the toxins in case of a meltdown/crash and will help to stop or prevent this or even limit the crash. Yes it can be dangerous to keep these corals but they are highly rewarding and if all you are doing is soft corals your basically stuck with them because there is not many other nice soft corals.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of this but it only happens in extreme circumstances when they overdose kalk or crash the tank in some other way and the palys die off and they don't run carbon. Running any carbon will negate most if not all palytoxin.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ion_of_the_aquarium_water_by_activated_carbon

In all due respect:
You have no clue what your talking about and I have seen it first hand on two occasions.

One time there was a Marine Biologist on hand and it was still a total melt down.

If you run enough carbon it will strip out all your nutrients and they plays will keep firing.

Sanjay lost one of his reefs with plays too.

My friend we're going the have to agree to disagree, but if you ever call another member a dunce again, I will personally report it to the mods.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your original post looked like Mohawks. Google them and see what you think. And personally I wouldnt have thrown them out either.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all due respect:
You have no clue what your talking about and I have seen it first hand on two occasions.

One time there was a Marine Biologist on hand and it was still a total melt down.

If you run enough carbon it will strip out all your nutrients and they plays will keep firing.

Sanjay lost one of his reefs with plays too.

My friend we're going the have to agree to disagree, but if you ever call another member a dunce again, I will personally report it to the mods.
I will agree to disagree with you and I am sorry about the choice of wording and have edited my original post but throwing out coral is entirely reckless and wasteful considering the state of the ocean and reefs today.

@Mike1976 Also just throwing out palys is dangerous in its self if they are not disposed of in a properly sealed bag as when they dry out they could release harmful or deadly amounts of palytoxin into the air. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/worlds-2nd-deadliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you.94354/

OP
OP
Mike1976

Mike1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree to disagree with you and I am sorry about the choice of wording and have edited my original post but throwing out coral is entirely reckless and wasteful considering the state of the ocean and reefs today.

@Mike1976 Also just throwing out palys is dangerous in its self if they are not disposed of in a properly sealed bag as when they dry out they could release harmful or deadly amounts of palytoxin into the air. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/worlds-2nd-deadliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you.94354/
I threw em in a ziplock bag and put them in a freezer before disposing

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree to disagree with you and I am sorry about the choice of wording and have edited my original

No worries and...
Thank you, it does not bother me, but it could hurt another members feelings.

debate on, just keep it clean... :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back