What Type Shells are These?

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2021
Messages
92
Reaction score
53
Location
Stone Mountain, GA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five red legged hermit crabs, and they are all thriving and eating well. It’s at least one molt in the tank every week. One of my hermit crabs recently switched shells into this one. This is the largest type shell I have in my tank at the moment.

Does anyone know specifically what type shell this is? I can get some more for the rest of my hermits in case they need larger shells.

302F5A32-B4CC-417E-B282-9FB2DF48365B.jpeg F07D4408-6214-4491-9821-7FB9107F7DDE.jpeg 32095061-B88B-4A6D-8436-4D3547BF9201.jpeg
 
It looks like an Astrea. I have a couple of hermits that came in those shells (clibanarius hermit, IIRC). Both have since moved house twice now and currently reside in shells that I picked up from a beach near me, after ensuring that they were empty and boiled in clean saltwater (see below)
I have a couple of Halloween hermits too but it is much harder to find new shells for them.
 

Attachments

  • 20220823_180707.jpg
    20220823_180707.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 37
They are very similar species, but I’m still seeing an astrea.
Nassarius shells also make really good homes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new