What UV Sterilizer should I Get?

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 65G. Only run a Eheim Cannister Filter (removed foam). Im toying with the idea of running a UV sterilizer for:

1. Better water clarity
2. Preventative for Cyano and Dino
3. Better health for fish

I was looking at Aqua UV Sterilizer 15w.

Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some that would work are:
Coralife
AqUATOP
Aqua UV

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aqua UV is reasonably priced. Was looking at that one.

Can run that off a cannister filter I assume? I ain't got no sump
Yes. Use a “T” and it will flow right through

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my return hose lol
I can restart your heart dude. When it comes to this stuff -- lost

Attachments

• 20210304_105819.jpg
    20210304_105819.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 36

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Omg I wouldn't know what to do with that hahah. From what I read the sterilizer is applied to the return area. How to do that, I have the slightest idea. ;(
Splice into the return line. The extra line goes to inlet of sterilizer

image.jpg

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're awesome lol, but what do I do with the area I circled? I promise I have a bachlors of science degree...........in nursing ahhahah
image-2.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 Gallon mixed reef, with a Coralife 3X 9watt UV that I’m extremely happy with. I don’t run 100% of the return water through it. It “T’s” off my Main return pump and the water dumps back into my sump to be run back through the return pump. When I do a water change the water is Gin Clear in the white bucket. BTW The ones with a wiper arm, I consider a gimmick. Through my Trade, I have many years of UV Lamp service. One thing I noticed is a “Good” UV Lamp, will be perfectly clean. A failing lamp will have some dirt on it. This applies to air and water purification. The Coralife is easy to install due to it’s multiple mounting positions and applications.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you do not have a sump and the cannister is pretty low flow, I would forget the tee and just splice it into your return line from the cannister to the display tank. I would get the Eheim double taps on the inlet and outlet so that it can be easily removed for bulb changes

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you do not have a sump and the cannister is pretty low flow, I would forget the tee and just splice it into your return line from the cannister to the display tank. I would get the Eheim double taps on the inlet and outlet so that it can be easily removed for bulb changes

That's what I was thinking. Sounds reasonably easy. The in and out already has a connecter for each ...your saying get one more or two more? And place before and after the UV right?

BTW...I really appreciate you guys basically breaking this down to me. I'm a visual learner and obviously can barely change a light bulb.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 65G. Only run a Eheim Cannister Filter (removed foam). Im toying with the idea of running a UV sterilizer for:

1. Better water clarity
2. Preventative for Cyano and Dino
3. Better health for fish

I was looking at Aqua UV Sterilizer 15w.

Thoughts?

Should push the UV sterilizer off and get a sump in my opinion *shrug*

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. Sounds reasonably easy. The in and out already has a connecter for each ...your saying get one more or two more? And place before and after the UV right?

BTW...I really appreciate you guys basically breaking this down to me. I'm a visual learner and obviously can barely change a light bulb.
Usually the UV's only come with barb fittings. To remove it you will want a way to drain all the water if you don't have valves. The Eheim double taps are two valves with a coupling between them so that you can close the valves and break the coupling with only a minimal amount of drip from the water between the valves. You would place them on both the inlet and the outlet. They are great for cannister filters. It looks like you are using Eheim tubing so the double taps would be a nice addition. Need to match your tubing size. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could add a bypass line with a single tap valve so that you could still run the return while pulling the UV. You would need two of the barbed tees that were shown before. Probably more complexity than you need or want.

Eheim Double Tap Quick Release 12/16mm 0.50 inch/0.65in - Marine Depot

Edit: If you don't have one already, I would have a double tap on the inlet line to the cannister as well. Makes cleaning much easier.

Back