What.. (Video)

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those? I literally just noticed them today! And there are like 5 it seems. They came out each time after I was adjusting the color of my light. I just got a new light.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU GOT JELLY FISH!!!!!! Actually a medusa or hydroid. but
What a great Video Thanks!

@Lionfish Lair @Wiz Cool Vid!

[HASHTAG]#hitchhiker[/HASHTAG]

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU GOT JELLY FISH!!!!!! Actually a medusa or hydroid. but
What a great Video Thanks!

@Lionfish Lair @Wiz Cool Vid!

[HASHTAG]#hitchhiker[/HASHTAG]

That was my first thought my second thought was.. How the heck did they get in there?! Lol maybe when I bought the chaeto?? No idea...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some types larvae are basically a jelly fish. many coral spawns included. Check out lionfishlair.com. its cool and I'm sure she'll give us her .02 soon.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some types larvae are basically a jelly fish. many coral spawns included. Check out lionfishlair.com. its cool and I'm sure she'll give us her .02 soon.

So it could be my coral propagating?

Idk what that's called but this is my only coral :)
image.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it could be my coral propagating?

Idk what that's called but this is my only coral :)
image.jpeg
more likely a hitchhiker from the chato. Thats a very nice Green Star Polyp colony. That rock will be covered soon:)

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out lionfishlair.com.

I went there and found what you were talking about on the list. They look the same on their videos. Says they can kill fry and eat "particulate matter." Well at least it isn't marked red. ^^

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear they can show up in a tank you'd think was sterile. They are quite often associated with cheato and that's how I brought the first patch into my tanks. For me it was a problem, because I introduced it into my breeding tanks. Sometimes you'd swear your fry tanks were little rectangular snow globes that a 5 year old went crazy on.... medusae EVERYWHERE. The medusae were about the size of the little fry themselves and could sting them to death. If you're not breeding fish or don't have Dwarf seahorses, I consider these a green. Great for "interesting transient observation".

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you'd swear your fry tanks were little rectangular snow globes that a 5 year old went crazy on.... ".

Haha nice description!
How long do they last in the floating stage (or is that the only stage)? Do they multiply quickly?

No fish breeding here. If anything I'd like to frag corals in the future appose to breeding fish.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, then they are "right on schedule"

These can appear at any time, but are frequently seen when tanks are new. Those videos are from my lionfish tank. After the tank was cycled, I added the lionfish and turned on the lights. I got a diatom bloom which feeds a nice healthy population of copepods. What loves copepods? Medusa hydroids. As the diatoms faded, the copepod numbers went back to normal and there was no longer enough food to support the hydroids. In fry tanks they can be very hard to get rid of because they love the food your fry love. Their food source doesn't diminish in a fry tank. It's like a double insult. They sting them and steal their food!

Not everyone gets them, as they still need to be introduced. You probably did so with your cheato and they are surviving as your tank is new. The perfect storm. They too will die at the end of the movie.

So, it's hard to say how long they will last, but when the food runs out, they'll disappear. They won't hurt your fish. Enjoy how interesting they are.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back