What was your most significant loss?

Added a bad fish....Velvet - December last year.

I'll never not quarantine a fish now.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240709_215013_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_215013_Samsung Notes.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 65
RIP my beautiful Duncan:expressionless-face:
 
Biggest loss for me was this guy:

IMG_1748.jpeg


If I ever try a gig again, I’ll need to be even more prepared
Wow! I hate that you lost that.
 
Two complete crashes for me. First was in 95 when my wife left the slider open in the winter. We were gone x2 days. It was about 35 or 36 degrees when I got home. Only the Coral Banded Shrimp survived. Tough little bugger!

Then in or around 2012, my 90g failed and crashed in a matter of days. Nothing I did worked to reverse the issue (and I tried hard). Never did figure out what killed the tank.
 
Wow! What fish had velvet?
I brought in a baby boxfish - from a questionable fish store. Legit, I knew better....I didnt QT or treat.

Didn't take long, for **** to hit the fan.

I've learned from it though. I'm a few weeks away from being done 80 days fallow (just to be safe) and have started treating ALL new fish.
 
It was this guy
I done remember what kind it was

The clown hosted the large toadstool on far left and wouldn’t tolerate any fish coming near it for too long

Oh, that's a Maroon.
 
Found original invoice

Was sold from live aquaria as black and white ocellaris clownfish
THAT was a black and white? Didn't see that coming! I was sure it was a Maroon!
 
I'm still early on in reef keeping, so (fortuantly) I haven't lost much. One out of the 3 that hit me the most was my cleaner shrimp, Jaques. I had him for a few months. He would always jump on my hand. Then one day he was dead. I think it was because he struggled to molt, or he was just old.
 
THAT was a black and white? Didn't see that coming! I was sure it was a Maroon!
It was a black and white that had zero orange on him. Usually they have a orange mouth but this one was completely black and white
 

Attachments

  • 40D9760A-823D-4368-988D-2481D8A7AE89.jpeg
    40D9760A-823D-4368-988D-2481D8A7AE89.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 76
Had a 60 g cube seal split at 2am about , hmmm. 6 years ago???
Heard the waterfall and dogs barking.
Was able to save fish into bucket and give to LFS and lost everything else in tank. And yes, it was a mess. However, if I recall, it only took 4 hours to clean it all up. I was just a week bit angry. But it did allow me to get my current Waterbox. Lol
 
Had a 60 g cube seal split at 2am about , hmmm. 6 years ago???
Heard the waterfall and dogs barking.
Was able to save fish into bucket and give to LFS and lost everything else in tank. And yes, it was a mess. However, if I recall, it only took 4 hours to clean it all up. I was just a week bit angry. But it did allow me to get my current Waterbox. Lol
Glad you were able to save the fish!
 
We had a house fire in December and lost our big system. 215g display with two 6ft long 90 gallon trays for coral growouts.
So sorry you had a fire!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new