What would these numbers make you think?

OP
OP
ultimatemj

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this morning ALK is 138ppm (7.7dKH), CAL is 410ppm, and MAG is 1250ppm. PH is somewhere between 8.2 and 8.3

Should I: A) Do another dose of baking soda to brink ALK into the mid 8dKH range? or B) let the saturated Kalk do the rest (since it seems things are balanced again)?

OP
OP
ultimatemj

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the numbers are "good"

Salinity is ~35ppm
P04 is under 0.05...it read zero on the Hanna but there is algae growing in the DT.
N03 is less than 0.025 on the RedSeaPro tester
MAG is 1300
CAL is ~420
ALK is around 8dKh
Alk chart.jpg

But now the inhabitants are not :sad: I have LPS stress...a couple of chalices began STN, Acans are fading, Blastos are not inflated and I lost a frogspawn and a Duncan! Duncans are like the hardiest coral I've ever kept! I increased feeding and am doing some reef roid spot feeding, but not really seeing any response.
Mar2015 C.jpg
Mar2015 A.jpg

Feels like a crash coming on :scared:, but (strangely) the couple of SPS are growing. Softies (mostly zoas) are growing and the fish are happy.
Mar2015 P.jpg
Mar2015 Z.jpg

Only other thing worth noting is that I have been doing 10% WC weekly and each time I mix up the fresh mix I'm finding what looks like aluminum chips in the bottom of the bucket...

Confused! :frusty:Any thoughts???

OP
OP
ultimatemj

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquavitro Salinity. Vendor support said 'normal to see some precip'...think they used the word 'ionic'.

I've doubled my feeding.

Weird thing is nitrates never climb, but once the GFO is exhausted or removed P04 climbs fairly quickly.

Oh yea, the ATS is producing now....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426190548.227844.jpg

OP
OP
ultimatemj

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that...bought a container of Red Sea Pro during my lunch hour!

OP
OP
ultimatemj

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here's what is in the bottom of a 5gal bucket of the old mix...its way more metallic shiny in person.
Salinity silt.jpg

The new RSP is mixing up clean...but my system ALK is 8 and the RSP is mixing up at 12!

Doing some math to figure out a WC schedule that will turn over the old water ASAP without too much of an ALK swing...

WC Schedule.jpg

Thoughts? Too fast, too slow or goldilocks? :bigsmile:

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say ur low. Alk is why things aren't happy in the first place regardless of. The impurities of the salt, I would. Just do. Normal wc regime. With new salt and dose for. Alk in between. To. Raise just alk.

OP
OP
ultimatemj

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange...3 days in a row I changed 10g of 11+ALK water and on day 4 the system ALK was 7.5dKH!?!?! Changed 10g more and it measured 8.1dKH.

It's like the more I give it the more it wants...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange...3 days in a row I changed 10g of 11+ALK water and on day 4 the system ALK was 7.5dKH!?!?! Changed 10g more and it measured 8.1dKH.

It's like the more I give it the more it wants...

That's exactly how it works. The higher the alkalinity, the higher the demand for it every day. :)

Also, water changes bring in relatively little alk unless they are big ones every day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ultimatemj

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the numbers "look good" but GHA is now taking over in the DT
frusty.gif
The GHA is growing way faster in the tank than in the scrubber!
mad2.gif

P04 measured 3 times 0.00, 0.01, & 0.00 on Hanna.
N03 below 0.025 on RedSea Pro kit.
Ammonia 0
ALK in the 8s
Apr ALK.jpg

Either the rock is full of P04 or I'm just not doing a good enough job keeping detritus off of it...

After months of battling (and winning?) to be able to stop using GFO, now I'm losing ground to GHA??? Doesn't make sense to me...

I've decided to use an algaecide (dimethyliminoethylene dichloride, ethoxylate) before the GHA smothers any corals.

2 Doses in and:
Good news is the GHA in the tank is beginning to weaken to the point it can be plucked (previously it was like trying to tear fishing line).
Bad news is the algaecide has completely wiped the HOG clean of any growth. I harvested what was its weekly growth, it came completely out, and now there is *no sign* of regrowth. Bright white growth plate again~

Hopefully the GHA in the DT also gives way, I'll get the rocks cleaned up, and then I'll stop the algeacide and get the ATS going again.

The frustrating thing is I feel like things were "under control" until I took the GFO offline (and got a P04 spike from the rocks?). Granted, I was starving my fish and corals (lost a few) to get/keep the nutrients down. With negligible P04 & N03 being measured for many months I'm thinking I need to up my feeding...but I'm worried that's just going to further fuel the algae.
gym.gif

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back