What would you do?

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a system that is almost self-sufficient.

I would like a mixed reef.

I need a dosing system that is cost effective and reliable (no getting stuck on) - but please be honest, I'm totally fine with - "Just manually do this" answers

Monitoring Ca, Mg, Alk, Ph? Hanna or controller or ....?

Refugiums? love, hate? I would like some nutrient export and space for a pod population to grow.

Ideally, I would love to run a separate refugium in a big stock tank filled with sponges, filter feeders, detrivores all the gross bottom creatures.

ATO - the red sea I have has a gravity system - worth it or just get a separate ATO?

Thank you !

ps - there are no saltwater aquarium services anywhere near me or I would just hire someone

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For dosing I have used the Apex DOS as well as the BRS dosing pumps and have good success with both.

For monitoring I started with doing all manual testing, added a Trident to one tank and then a couple of months later added one to a second tank. I still have a small mixed reef tank that I do all manual testing on. The Trident isn't cheap but does save me a lot of time and helps me detect issues faster than I would with manual testing. The other benefit of the trident is if you go w/ the DOS for monitoring you can have the Trident automate the dosing. I have been doing this for a couple of months for ALK and CA on one of my tanks and it has been working really well.

For ATO I never even tried my Red Sea gravity feed on my 170 and went with Tunze from day 1. I have had good experience w/ the Tunze on my other two tanks so for me it was a no brainer. I also am able to have it go to one of my two 35 gallon RODI water containers so I never have to fill an ATO container which is convenient or worry about it running out if not around for a week or two.

I tried a refugium on my 170 without a skimmer. Ran it for about 4 months and cleaned out the refugium and added a skimmer. I was running it 24/7 and still had a ton of algae in the display. After switching to the skimmer it cleaned it up pretty quick. I have seen a lot of posts here where people have been very successful with a refugium, I am just not one of them:)

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For dosing I have used the Apex DOS as well as the BRS dosing pumps and have good success with both.

For monitoring I started with doing all manual testing, added a Trident to one tank and then a couple of months later added one to a second tank. I still have a small mixed reef tank that I do all manual testing on. The Trident isn't cheap but does save me a lot of time and helps me detect issues faster than I would with manual testing. The other benefit of the trident is if you go w/ the DOS for monitoring you can have the Trident automate the dosing. I have been doing this for a couple of months for ALK and CA on one of my tanks and it has been working really well.

For ATO I never even tried my Red Sea gravity feed on my 170 and went with Tunze from day 1. I have had good experience w/ the Tunze on my other two tanks so for me it was a no brainer. I also am able to have it go to one of my two 35 gallon RODI water containers so I never have to fill an ATO container which is convenient or worry about it running out if not around for a week or two.

I tried a refugium on my 170 without a skimmer. Ran it for about 4 months and cleaned out the refugium and added a skimmer. I was running it 24/7 and still had a ton of algae in the display. After switching to the skimmer it cleaned it up pretty quick. I have seen a lot of posts here where people have been very successful with a refugium, I am just not one of them:)
Thank you! Lots of information which is great, what tests do you like to use? Is there one you have found as accurate as the trident ?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Lots of information which is great, what tests do you like to use? Is there one you have found as accurate as the trident ?
I use Hanna for ALK and Phosphate (Ultra low). I use Red Sea for CA and Nitrate and Salifert for MG. I compare against the Trident periodically or if I get a strange/unexpected reading from the Trident. Generally they are pretty close. For the Trident I follow the ALK the closest and much less concerned about CA and MG since they move so slow.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room for a large refugium, go for it. There are some cool algaes available. You could have mangroves in there as well.
For nutrient export I have found an ATS to work much better than a refugium. You can fit an ATS on almost any tank very inexpensively. See my ATS thread.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back