What wrasse if any?

AcroCrush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this topic, I am looking for a wrasse (likely a flasher, pygmy, or fairy wrasse). Am I correct in thinking those type are the best fit for my reef tank with the following; blue tang, blue eye tang, yellow tang, (4) pajama cardinals, dwarf hawk fish, pencil urchin, banded coral shrimp, harlequin shrimp, (7) snails. This is all in a 125 g (6' long) tank with many hiding places and corals growing everywhere. Sometimes I can not find my blue tang (little bigger than hand size) when sleeping in some crevasse in the rock.

This is my first posting, sorry if I am missing something.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ones you will want to specifically avoid are the Thalassoma genus as well as “true” Coris wrasses such as red coris, coris gaimard. However something like the yellow coris (actually a Halichoeres) would be a great addition. The final two to avoid would be bird wrasses and dragon wrasses.
Pretty much anything from the genus Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Macropharyngodon, Pseudocheilinus, and some Labroides such as the Hawaiian or African Cleaner Wrasse would be a good fit. Wrasses are one of my favorite fish because they come in so many colors and all act differently. Some species like the fairies just constantly swim, while Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon tend to mostly pick at the rocks in between swimming.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this topic, I am looking for a wrasse (likely a flasher, pygmy, or fairy wrasse). Am I correct in thinking those type are the best fit for my reef tank with the following; blue tang, blue eye tang, yellow tang, (4) pajama cardinals, dwarf hawk fish, pencil urchin, banded coral shrimp, harlequin shrimp, (7) snails. This is all in a 125 g (6' long) tank with many hiding places and corals growing everywhere. Sometimes I can not find my blue tang (little bigger than hand size) when sleeping in some crevasse in the rock.

This is my first posting, sorry if I am missing something.
Welcome to R2R! Something like a nice fairy wrasse would be a cool addition. Avoid pretty much what @tdileo listed, along with the harlequin tusk. Pretty much my favorite wrasse personally, but it'll go right for your shrimp.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't go wrong with fairy wrasses. I have four different fairies in my tank and they are good with each other and the other fish in the tank. Pintail and solar are my favorite. Also be careful, they are jumpers. Will need a lid. Welcome to R2R.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

As for your wrasse question, tdileo nailed it except I would add Pseudocheilinus on the list to avoid, or at least add with care.

Agree if you would like to have any other wrasses in the future, you should avoid this genus. And who could stop at one wrasse?! :D

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tdileo's comment is spot on, except for Pseudocheilinus, which can be aggressive.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tdileo's comment is spot on, except for Pseudocheilinus, which can be aggressive.

Some people have good experiences with these guys which is why I included them. However I have avoided them personally because of the aggression probability. I would love to have a nicely colored, peaceful mystery wrasse :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup avoid the Pseudocheilinus (aka 6 line wrasse). Other than that the generally peaceful variety wrasses are great choices. I have a Melanurus (Halichoeres family) and Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon) in my tank and they are great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back