Whats everyone's opinions on Pulsing Xenia?

ReisolnitsuJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna eventually come around to start adding corals to my aquarium, I have been doing a lot of research and have seen some mixed reviews about Xenia corals. Just wondering what people on here think.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it ! I have some on a rock & have glued some on the over flow box. & on the back glass . I think it adds nice color & movement .

Clarification, Folks when I made the above post on Wensday , I thought we were talking about GSP not Pulsing Zenia .

Last edited:

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display fuge
8348d2d0c809852b1b9c87d65295b59e.jpg

5856d0456c35fd56a973ac89ae084c0b.jpg

My work tank
c63ace65c58482fb3b717571c811a682.jpg

Xenia is great but watch out this all started from a couple heads a year ago

OP
OP
ReisolnitsuJ

ReisolnitsuJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I isolate them will they spread onto the substrate eventually? or will they stay to the isolated rock?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I isolate them will they spread onto the substrate eventually? or will they stay to the isolated rock?
They shatter and travel. GSP doesn't generally do that.

You can keep them in check with constant vigilance. Lol, but it will take constant vigilance.
A razor blade and a dab of reef putty.
I love ours. But just in the spots I placed it.

Pretty much you can almost guarantee that within 2 years you will fail and it will start to take over your tank. [emoji6]

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Xenia. So beautiful.

I know some people are against it, because it takes over, and yes, it does, but its a beautiful active, moving coral, there just aren't alot like it. Any coral can become a weed if it has the right growth conditions. It's only a weed though if you don't like it.

OP
OP
ReisolnitsuJ

ReisolnitsuJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shatter and travel. GSP doesn't generally do that.

You can keep them in check with constant vigilance. Lol, but it will take constant vigilance.
A razor blade and a dab of reef putty.
I love ours. But just in the spots I placed it.

Pretty much you can almost guarantee that within 2 years you will fail and it will start to take over your tank. [emoji6]

Ok well thats good to know. One of my comcerns was that it would mat all over my substarte and cover it all up

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well thats good to know. One of my comcerns was that it would mat all over my substarte and cover it all up

As you can see in both my tanks there is Xenia all over the glass it can get anywhere and it doesn’t really crawl like an anemone would it detaches from the parent and land somewhere else so the island idea really won’t work from that standpoint

Saying that I do like it in a tank designed for it

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love xenia and my wife loves the constant movement as well. It definitely has its place and if xenia were very hard to grow then it would be the rage. Personally IMHO it is an underrated coral but as long as you keep it in check so it doesn't spread like wildfire, you will be OK.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I friend of mine has a beautiful and I mean beau-ti-ful pulsing Xenia island. He is cutting away at it at least once a month. If you don't want to trim the hedges -- don't get it. But if you are willing to put in the work, it is worth it.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always kept it in check with strong stinging lps. It will not be able to crowd out your torch, frogspawns, elegance, acan corals and etc but it will crowd and suffocate sps. On a positive note manual remove is a very underrated and beneficial means of nutrient control much like algae in a fudge. If you dont have a fuge of skimmer it will really help you keep your nitrates in check.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back