Whats going on with my Yuma??

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the other Yumas on this rock are fine but this one yuma is ripping its own foot, or so it seems. Is this the process it takes to drop babies or is it something else. In this pic the flow is carrying the foot off the rock, I reduced the flow to the rock and it all the way open. Oh and the Gook in front of the foot of the yuma is a sponge. Whats the deal??

Yumas-1.jpg

Yuma-issues.jpg

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bottom appears to be torn. The tenticles in there are its guts. They sometimes will expel them out their mouths as well...really weird thing to see.

try to reduce the flow hitting it, and thats about all you can do as far as i know.

OP
OP
MrPicasso

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely strange, I have seen yumas move before and leave a trail of the foot which become babies, but never anything like this. When I turned the lights on today it was flat and 100% open, if it wasn't for the flow catching it I wouldn't have even noticed it, and the amount of flow in that area isn't enough to create a tear like that. I wonder whats going on here?

OP
OP
MrPicasso

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Bailing you mean just relocating? Why not just release the foot rather than tearing?? Wierd. I have heard of them moving if they are not getting the right amount of light. Just yesterday I moved this rock into the shade after reading an article about most yumas liking the shade and do better there. Wonder if it didn't like the previous place it was in? Getting too much light.

Last edited:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a good sign, when the ministerial filaments come out the bottom either by tearing or by stress they usually don't make it through. The main concern is that with the hole being in the bottom through the foot it will not be able to expand and draw in water to fill itself this usually lends itself to bacterial infections. I would keep in some what med flow just in case it beings to slime this way the current can wash some of that away. I would also shade it a bit are they new Yumas? it could also be the sponge causing the stress as well through chemical warfare.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My first thought after looking at the picture was the Sponge is creeping too close for comfort. Not sure why it would tear, or release its foot though. Out of any coral I have every had, I've always had the worst luck with Yuma's. They are just so darn finiky

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back