whats happening to my toadstool coral ?

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all ive had this toadstool coral for about 6 months now and it looks like its being shredded from the top. Nothing new has been added to the tank fish wise or coral wise. I dip all my corals and i havnt noticed any new bugs or snails crawling around on the toadstool. Photos ive uploaded are seperate days it seems to start getting better then just goes back to having holes in the top. I have other soft corals and lps in the tank but they all seem to be doing fine. this is the only coral int he tank to have this kinda thing be happening to it. The toadstool is on its own pretty far away from anything that could sting it. Only big change that the tanks had is ive changed my rodi unit but all other coral and fish are doing fine and ive tested the water and thats fine. Ive just started dosing kalkawasser today thinking my ph might be too low hoping that can help but that was literally today and the toadstool has been going through this for about 2 weeks now. Fish in the tank include a juvi blue tang , juvi sailfin tang, bangai cardinal, sixline wrasse, flame hawkfish and a lawnmower blenny. Tank parameters havnt seen a big change:

salinity 1.025
nitrate 5
phos .1
ammonia 0
calcium 450-500
magnesium 1250
ph 8.0
alk between 9-10

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

20240310_163525.jpg 20240311_104706.jpg 20240313_155802.jpg

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is releasing toxins, but you say other corals are fine, try increasing the flow on it.

OP
OP
K

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is releasing toxins, but you say other corals are fine, try increasing the flow on it.
hi thanks for replying.

Yea ive turned up the flow all the way a couple days ago thinking that could be it aswell but havnt really seen any improvements. The flow is strong enough that the base of the coral is swaying so im guessing thats fine ? Any stronger and id have to add another wavemaker into the tank. Also just changed the carbon in the tank thinking that it was used up and releasing the toxins back into the tank but no improvements from that either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back