What's in a Name??????

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, There sure has been a lot of conversation about this lately. I realize everyone that buys a coral that has some liniage back to its original owner values the fact that it came from that person. Here is what throws me though. Where does the name originate? I have several chalices that I guarantee you have not seen before and therefore have no name. So is naming the coral or linking the coral back to the person what makes the coral collectable and or desireable. For example here is my OIAB Snakeskin just one of several I plan to distribute as an LE chalice in the coming days. Your thoughts and input on this topic are appreciated.

c1.jpg

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nothing like the hollywood stunner. I will post a close up of this coral shortly.

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as what's in a name...I think too there are too many named corals that should just remain species/genus or common name.

Is there something t hat really makes the chalice above special? Green on green is a pretty common color pattern. Tyree watermellon chalice, well that one is very distinctive so watermellon is a good name for that pattern.

Also, I don't think it's good to get a wild collected chalice that may be an interesting color morph, chop it up, then sell it as limited edition. A lot of the true limited editions are 3 or 4th gen...ORA being the prime example. Or if not 3rd/4th gen, they have been in a tank for a while have seen some growth.

Just my two cents, but too many named corals just turns me off from buying them.

That being said, I'd be interested in seeing a macro shot...that may get me hot and sweaty then I'll be begging for a snakeskin.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats pretty wicked. but i'm having a hard time judging the color difference b/w the two pics. they look almost nothing alike.

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large piece is almost 10 inches accross. There is no way I can get the same coloration in a picture at 2 inches away as oppose to 3 feet away.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naming for me is mainly for stuff I grow that I feel deserves a name and is honestly easier then remebering sci name on everything but Id be lieing if there wasnt a marketing behind it eithier as some will atest it can add buying value too but its up to us to use it fairly or abuse it as some in this hobby have and name everything they sell just to get a higher price if they grow it or not.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back