What's next? Don't know what to add

Annieville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby. Started a 24g tank (24x13x16) at the end of November, after months of research. Did a fishes cycle with Dr. Tim's, then my canister filter (don't start on it!) impaler broke and kind of had to restart a cycle when everything was back in order. Finally added 2 ocellaris and about 8 tiny hermit crabs (dwarf?) mid-February. Had a mini-cycle that was quickly over. My kids love it and so does the cat :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I seeded copepods 2 weeks ago, which I can see on the glass sometimes. I finally turned on the lights (1 AI Prime 16HD) last Sunday, even though I don't have corals yet.

But what's next? I research and info is confusing. Some say to add more fish; some say to add corals right away; some say to add more CUC before problems start and others say to tailor the CUC to the problem you have; some say to wait for the ugly phase to pass before adding more fish or corals. What do I do? I'm scared of messing things up, it's paralyzing.

Parameters:
SG 1,026
pH 8,0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2,5
Alk 10,2
Phosphate 0,15
Calcium 400

Please advise a lost newbie :confused:
Pic of my tank, one clown is hiding behind the feeder

tempImagemUn3ww.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby. Started a 24g tank (24x13x16) at the end of November, after months of research. Did a fishes cycle with Dr. Tim's, then my canister filter (don't start on it!) impaler broke and kind of had to restart a cycle when everything was back in order. Finally added 2 ocellaris and about 8 tiny hermit crabs (dwarf?) mid-February. Had a mini-cycle that was quickly over. My kids love it and so does the cat :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I seeded copepods 2 weeks ago, which I can see on the glass sometimes. I finally turned on the lights (1 AI Prime 16HD) last Sunday, even though I don't have corals yet.

But what's next? I research and info is confusing. Some say to add more fish; some say to add corals right away; some say to add more CUC before problems start and others say to tailor the CUC to the problem you have; some say to wait for the ugly phase to pass before adding more fish or corals. What do I do? I'm scared of messing things up, it's paralyzing.

Parameters:
SG 1,026
pH 8,0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2,5
Alk 10,2
Phosphate 0,15
Calcium 400

Please advise a lost newbie :confused:
Pic of my tank, one clown is hiding behind the feeder

tempImagemUn3ww.jpg
Youve got lots or sand, a goby would be nice.
And/or some snails would be good.
As for corals, the easiest are xenia, gsp and kenya tree, but can spread quickly.
Zoas are pretty and can be isolated easier.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you like? Sounds like you have enough cuc imo for now and prolly wait a bit longer for more fish. Some hardy corals would be a nice next step. I'd look at different softies to see if any spark your interest, mushrooms, leathers, zoas maybe a Kenya tree.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

• A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back