What's on my snails?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stalkem
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stalkem

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2023
Messages
201
Reaction score
208
Location
Slingerlands, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my clean up crew from @reefcleaners for about 6 months now. I recently noticed what looked like a few spots of bubble algae on a few snails. I tried to push them off with a ling pipet... but they were a lot more firm than I was expecting them to be. I just pulled 2 of the snails out to get them off. They popped right off easy.

Question 1, is that in fact bubble algae? There is nothing else similar to that present in the tank?
PXL_20240310_151624413.MP.jpg

While I had the snails out, I also noticed some other growths on their shells (pic below).
So Question 2, are those vermited snails growing and along for the snail ride, or are they something else?
PXL_20240310_151846293.MP.jpg PXL_20240310_151923712.MP.jpg PXL_20240310_151931895.MP.jpg

Thanks all!
 
Yes, that's bubble algae; I'm not certain on the other ones, but there's a good chance they're vermetids.

If they coil into a mound, they're vermetids.

I do see one white feather duster tube that seems partially destroyed as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new