What's one fish you regret ever having bought?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first saltwater fish I ever owned, this experience still haunts me nearly a decade later. I bought two Ocellaris clownfish (the LFS advised me that it didn’t matter if they were the same size, my experience did not coincide with their advice). Both fish battled each other for days to the point one started to look rather injured. Separated them with netting only to find the more aggressive one had found a gap between the glass and netting - ended up fighting with the other one while I was away for the day… the weaker clown ended up dying the next day. The more aggressive clown was injured at some point during the fighting and never swam right again… ended up dying a few weeks later. I still have not bought any type of clownfish since that experience.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Right now, its between the desjardini tang and the Lavender tang, although my sailfin is starting to put the Lavender in its place.
The Dussomieri is in time out as it would not leave clown tang alone.
Im amazed as to How my tank devil the Purple tang has really mellowed out.

Desjardini (center):

1685119248946.png
You got me beat with tangs gosh :) looking good

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Tomato clowns hosting a Heteractis magnifica for a few years. They sucked big time.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is my fox face. He more than doubled in size over 10 months but he started to pick on all the corals close to the sand. If they weren’t close to sand they were safe. Had to rehome him and I am still not happy about it.

For anyone considering gambling on a fax face in a reef environment I would caution against it. Especially with meaty corals.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They and scopus can be either nice or down right nasty
Bullied a Leopard wrasse that was eating PREPARED foods (you know how difficult that is to find) to death and nearly got a Yellow Mimic tang as well before I got him out. Took an hour of chasing and 4 nets to get him.

I had intended on a Tomini or Two-Spot Bristletooth but the Kole was the right size and I hadn't seen one in a long time. I should have stuck to my plan...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bullied a Leopard wrasse that was eating PREPARED foods (you know how difficult that is to find) to death and nearly got a Yellow Mimic tang as well before I got him out. Took an hour of chasing and 4 nets to get him.

I had intended on a Tomini or Two-Spot Bristletooth but the Kole was the right size and I hadn't seen one in a long time. I should have stuck to my plan...
My Tomini perhaps the best model citizen i have

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pepermint angel fish! Destroyed all my corals, any one wants it for free?
Lol I hope you realize I'm writing B.S.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange spotted goby IS CONSTANTLY BURYING MY CORALS!! It scoops up sand and swims right over the entire scape constantly pouring sand onto the heads of my torches/hammers/frog spawns, it will even swim up top hitting all of my montiporas and acros with sand storm drive by’s! Ughhh it makes me so mad but his tunnel system is so wide spread these days that I really don’t even attempt to get him out. Id accidentally frag all of my sps corals trying to do that. Im sure I’d accidentally bang up some torches in the process as well! I never had trouble keeping the sand bed clean in this system so really this has just been a headache! more harm has been done than good unfortunately.

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange spotted goby IS CONSTANTLY BURYING MY CORALS!! It scoops up sand and swims right over the entire scape constantly pouring sand onto the heads of my torches/hammers/frog spawns, it will even swim up top hitting all of my montiporas and acros with sand storm drive by’s! Ughhh it makes me so mad but his tunnel system is so wide spread these days that I really don’t even attempt to get him out. Id accidentally frag all of my sps corals trying to do that. Im sure I’d accidentally bang up some torches in the process as well! I never had trouble keeping the sand bed clean in this system so really this has just been a headache! more harm has been done than good unfortunately.
Sand storm drive-by's got me pretty good, bahaha, love it.

That does sound quite frustrating though.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s only been gobies that have gone missing, thinking about that I guess I will say my female maroon lightening clown. Multiple shrimp and little gobies I looked forward to having have gone missing and I truly believe this brute is the culprit .

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happens to me with a blue spotted jaw fish and maroon clowns(which also bite) Maroon clowns swim halfway up the tank to drop sand. Blue spotted jaw fish loves spitting all over the place as well ( what makes it 10x worse is that it changes burrows every night)

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just wanted to comment that the fish shown in the email post, a Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse, is my most recent addition and he's been super nice and chill. I like him a lot. And he's living with a flame angel and purple tang to boot, and they all get along fabulously. All love and absolutely no aggression whatsoever. If you asked me why I think that is, I would say it's because I have a ton of rock in the tank and so there's plenty of personal real estate to go around.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back