What's the benefit blowing off live rock

05grandprix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear people talking about they blow their rocks off just before a water change whats the benefit of this I blew my rocks off and dang was they dirty. What cleaner crew can I get to assist in this problem a lot of the detritus I believe went into my filter system And sponges cleaned immediately.

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a good question i have never done it unless it happens when i have to rearrange something so no clue here

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have one spot in my tank that there is a little build up. My tank is to large to be doing any blowing rocks and stuff. I think I my not have the right current blowing at them.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard about this. I blow off my zoa colonies sometimes and they're loaded with stuff like sand, etc. I usually do it before a water change, let the water clear first and then clean the sponges. I've never had a spike that way. Good luck!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buildup of any kind like that should be removed. I know many people use turkey basters for such a thing. I would often start my water changes off with a small hose and start with a suction of the rocks where the buildup would occur. Since I did the water changes weekly is prevented any real amount of buildup.
I think the most common place for that kind of waste buildup is in the bottom of the sump. For that I would just wait for the water to drain and fill my sump up during a water change and use a powerhead to churn up the sump to a cloudy mess and then use a pump to pump out all the water in the sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back