How do you control detritus on the rocks?

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ~11 weeks old but the rocks were cured for five months before that. I was blowing the detritus off with a turkey baster but that caused a spike in nitrates.

Is there an animal that cleans the rocks all day long of detritus? Ideally it's a fish, my hermit crabs aren't getting it done because it tends to collect on the underside of the rocks.

detritus.jpeg

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rather robust CUC works for me. About 2 dozen red legged hermit crabs, 3 skunk cleaner shrimp, 3 fighting conchs, and a total of about 3 dozen trochus, cerith, nassarius, bumblebee, astrea and margarita snails.

They get the job done fairly well for both algae and detritus.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely do, but when I do; i shut of return pump, use an additional pump to blow rocks until stuff stops coming out, then suck out as much as possible with a water change. Conversely, I don't like rocks to be too clean- i like some pod food laying around for a healthy pod population for fish. Turning waste to food..
On another note, blowing off rocks shouldn't(imo) cause a nutrient spike. Anything blown off was already in sys decomposing. If anything, skimmer should remove some and slow nutrient accumulation. Maybe this is a new tank symptom because the decaying material nutrient source isn't steady yet(?)

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a little OCD about blasting off my rocks
(No laughing at the back!)
Not much accumulation due to fairly heavy flow but twice a week I'll get a small sicce powerhead & blast any detritus off.the PE on SPS & LPS after goes crazy

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question here.
I get that blowing the rocks gets rid af detritus of many forms, but does it really have any positive effect on anything?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ~11 weeks old but the rocks were cured for five months before that. I was blowing the detritus off with a turkey baster but that caused a spike in nitrates.

Is there an animal that cleans the rocks all day long of detritus? Ideally it's a fish, my hermit crabs aren't getting it done because it tends to collect on the underside of the rocks.

detritus.jpeg

Manual labor. Use a turkey baster.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question here.
I get that blowing the rocks gets rid af detritus of many forms, but does it really have any positive effect on anything?
Its natural coral food! Blow out your rocks tonight before going to bed, see how happy your corals will be.

Besides being free coral food that's phosphate free, blowing out the rocks keeps the biofilter healthy. We use these rocks because all the holes and cracks and crevices provides more surface area for bacteria. Detritus clogs these holes and cracks and therefore reduces the available surface area, and reducing the effectiveness of the biofilter. I believe its part of what leads to 'old tank syndrome.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its natural coral food! Blow out your rocks tonight before going to bed, see how happy your corals will be.

Besides being free coral food that's phosphate free, blowing out the rocks keeps the biofilter healthy. We use these rocks because all the holes and cracks and crevices provides more surface area for bacteria. Detritus clogs these holes and cracks and therefore reduces the available surface area, and reducing the effectiveness of the biofilter. I believe its part of what leads to 'old tank syndrome.
But, you could have lots of surface area in the sump also, with very little detritus.
Never done it, and tank is 2+ years old.
Will try a smaller area tonight and see how much crap is in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back