What's the best piece of equipment you have purchased for your reef?

The BEST equipment you have bought for your reef came from this category?

• Filtration

Votes: 71 14.3%
  • Testing

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Lighting

Votes: 162 32.5%
  • Controlling

Votes: 117 23.5%
  • Water Treatment

Votes: 21 4.2%
  • Pumps

Votes: 48 9.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 29 5.8%

• Total voters

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller,

If I had to prioritize, controller, lighting, dosers.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pump, ABSOLUTE MUST have. Keeps parameters super stable with almost zero effort. Game changer all the way.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd break this down to most important product and best buy cost wise:
Most important was getting a Vortech pump. Before I had very little internal flow and couldn't keep SPS. Once I added an MP10 raising corals became much easier.
Best buy is the Jebao DP5 doser. This is a 5 channel dosing pump I picked up on EBay for less than $75. I added a few bucks for a 2 year warranty.
I've had it for a year now and it's never let me down. I use 3 of the channels for ALK, CA, and MG and I use the remaining channels for a daily water change. Yes it is supposedly not for water changes but I do 1/2 gallon changes daily; no problem.
I will eventually get their slave doser so I can dose Potassium and other things as the situation presents itself

Dave33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No question about it... My Neptune Apex system (with redundant probes & Trident controlled dosing).

Neptune Apex Setup.jpg

Also controls my Water Room. Most important feature next to monitoring and alarms is my Auto Top Off and Auto Water Change setups.

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I'll never buy a different wave maker. You get your money's worth. Built like tanks, easy to fix and maintain when something eventually does break after a decade, lol. Ran my MP-10 for 4 years with no problems. MP-40 for 2 with no problems.

I bought cheap Jaebos before and they always died. Usually right about at the year point. I wish I'd just bought quality from the start, would have saved money!

I only have two MP40 QD and they were bought around release and they've both been trouble free. I have been considering finally making the leap to LEDs with my display, I suppose I should support @ecotechmarine becasue their products have served me well and get some radions, but ATI has also also been good to me and the price of a 5' T5 vs. a few radions is startling, and I know how to grow a pretty good reef with T5's, just not so much with Radions.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting started so all of its a game changer for me but I love this post!
Get to see what everyone else's thoughts are and can build my tank around that.

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who moved from simply keeping softies to LPS and SPS, how much of an equipment upgrade did you need? Was it a significant rise in spending?
That really depends on what type of equipment you have in your system now. The biggest difference is that SPS are less forgiving. So something like an aquarium controller to make sure your temperature is it a consistent range is going to help. If you don’t have a lot of Flow you may need upgrades in that area; same thing with lighting. So depending on what equipment you have it might not be much of a difference at all but if you have more starter tank gear and low flow low light hardware it’s going to be an expensive jump.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe that RO/DI isn't mentioned almost 100%
There is not any other piece of equipment that even compares to a RO/DI unit.
99% of my problems and troubles went away once I got it through my head that a RO/DI was a must for a successful reef tank.
Only problems I ever have now are caused by me.
I only need to clean the glass once every 2 or 3 weeks. And then it's just a light film.
My tanks have been so healthy and almost maintenance free since I wisened up and started using clean water.

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBh I don’t understand why anyone still thinks an uncovered tank is okay. Don’t they want their fish to live, and maximize their chances of achieving that?
I’ve had only uncovered tanks for 15 years and I’ve lost at most five fish to jumping. It looks much better open and just makes you choose fish more carefully.

scubajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say my clarisea was a huge game changer. No more washing filter socks and takes most of the load off my skimmer. Hopefully my 165 gallon salt water reservoir and automatic water changes will overtake first place in a week when it's running

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back