What's the best way to move/frag this coral?

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral came as a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock that I planned on using as a zoa island. All the "stalks" seem to be branching off one large tube just under the rock, is there a way I can move it or is it too young?

20200221_220004.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like xenia can be invasive. I would scrape it off as close to the rock as possible and move it to its own island. Then kalk paste over whatevers left so it doesnt grow back.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stalks are. Kinda thin to be xenia. Not a clear photo but I'm going with pipe organ. Assuming you are new so you wouldn't have access to a frag kit but you'd want to scrape it off the rock. If you don't get it all it will regrow.

Is there a reason you don't want it or want to move it? As it gets bigger the base should get thicker and make it easier to scrape.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its growing where his zoa garden is going to be...
I dont believe its pipe organ..
Can we get a whiter pic please.

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its growing where his zoa garden is going to be...
I dont believe its pipe organ..
Can we get a whiter pic please.

My lights are currently off and the coral closed up so I'll have to wait a bit to take a picture, but as of last night I'm 99% sure this is a type of Xenia. A few stalks have a very subtle pulsing movement to them, maybe once every few minutes. I've been watching it a lot and it's definitely not the water flow doing it, and I don't think they're just reacting to their environment (like a zoa with food or something).

If if is Xenia I might just be better off leaving it there, I really want some but the island would make it easier to deal with.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 116 47.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.0%
Back