What's the oldest/longest running piece of equipment you still have on your reef?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using this temperature gauge that I took from the boiler in the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan that was built in 1907. I don't know how old the gauge is but I have been using it on my tank probably since 1980.

I put the copper bulb in a glass tube and I can read it from across the street. :p

You can see it on the wall here next to my state of the art DIY 30 year old skimmer and tethered "Cell" phone from the 70s.

I don't use any Sissy, Girly Man controllers or glass thermometers. :p

That. Is. Cool.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few.
My metal Halide lighting 20+ years

A Magdrive return pump 20+ Years

A Euro Reef skimmer. 19+ Years

I’m most proud of the Skimmer . It still pounds out the nastiest sludge I’ve seen from any skimmer.
I hear ya
20200108_183613.jpg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus NWS 150 Recirculating Skimmer. It's been in constant use since early 2009. I've replaced the circulation pump once and its impeller once. It still works great even though it has a few battle scars.

Dan Watson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanic brand tanks and Eheim pro2 canister. I own a 65g and 75g oceanic with stands. Theyve had metal objects and rocks slammed off em with hardly a scratch, lived unleveled and over 1/2” off in saltwater for years. The company unfortunately got sold over a decade ago then sold and sold again through the years . Next, The eheim pro2, one of the easiest to use, very efficient and strong enough canister filters. prime easy, run relatively quiet and have survived through as much hell as I could give them. Totally recommend as a backup to your sump and they arent expensive. you can use them
for adding anything from more filter floss to growing sea sprouts and more, like GAC and Phosguard or similar dry goods. My last favorite which doesnt well relate to many reef keepers, is the aquaclear series of hang on filters. ive used the 110 as a refugium twice and about 7 others bought new or used, used normally without a single manufacturer failure. Id also like to add MagDrive pumps, I use them for servicing other peoples tanks and holy mackerel i cant believe how long they last.
Operator error seems to be the main cause of most malfunctions in those 4. Every other piece of gear ive used, ive had to replace at least once personally, or seen fail on others.

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanic? pics?
its just a 24" x 12" x 15" I originally had a few blue damsels in.

8 years ago, when I built my present system, I used it for the sump.

It's gone through several configuration / changes since - basic sump - Marine Pure Sump - Cryptic / semi Cryptic Sump .
Now its a nothing sump. Its just got a return pump, chiller pump & heater in it. An algae scrubber & filter floss container sits on top, both fed with the display over-flow water.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eheim 1262 return pump. Purchased in 2006 and has been in almost continuous use since then except when I was moving.

Chas J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an Iwaki return pump that ran on my previous set-up for more than a decade,then had a couple year break. It's been running my current set-up for four years now. I've never cleaned it.

RayDRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my equipment when I setup my 75gal in 2013; MP10w x2, radion gen2 x2, eheim 2600 return pump, eheim heaters, Apex, Vertex 130 skimmer, Tunze Osmolater. Everything is running great.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of mj 12’s from 2004 also have the maxi mod somewhere lol

Mushroomhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rio 2100 pump I’ve been using for a return pump for over 20 years on a 30 year old Oceanic tank. I actually bought a replacement for it about 10 years ago, figuring nothing lasts forever. After a few days I switched back to the original because it had better flow!

paleoreef103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several Maxijets used for mixing salt circa 2006. A first gen Apex Jr from 2011. BRS dosing pumps from 2011 (though one of the two is probably circling the drain). A 5-stage BRS RO/DI from 2010. A Maxi-Jet Utility 1800 from 2011.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ready for this guys ice cap t12 vho dated back to early90's bulbs,lots of them on lots of tanks, and all constant use until the burn out ,can grow anything,pics to prove non believers LOL

can get a tan with em too

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ready for this guys ice cap t12 vho dated back to early90's bulbs,lots of them on lots of tanks, and all constant use until the burn out ,can grow anything,pics to prove non believers LOL

can get a tan with em too

Icecap 660s burning old URI aquasun, super actinics and 50/50 vho bulbs are incredibly underrated, wish they were still available
i ran them over my two 33 gal long prop tanks I had when I was in highschool (2003 ish), colors weren't great but that was due to a lot of other factors, but made brown -blue tipped acro stags grow incredibly fast!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim canister filter from the 80's still alive but does not get used much anymore. Just could not part with it.
Had one of the tunze skimmers that floated on the top of the tank.
Wish I still had it. Was lost during a move a few years back.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Icecap 660s burning old URI aquasun, super actinics and 50/50 vho bulbs are incredibly underrated, wish they were still available
i ran them over my two 33 gal long prop tanks I had when I was in highschool (2003 ish), colors weren't great but that was due to a lot of other factors, but made brown -blue tipped acro stags grow incredibly fast!
can't find em anymore because i spent the last 25 yrs buying every bulb,ballast,and harness i could find,lol sad but true

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few.
My metal Halide lighting 20+ years

A Magdrive return pump 20+ Years

A Euro Reef skimmer. 19+ Years

I’m most proud of the Skimmer . It still pounds out the nastiest sludge I’ve seen from any skimmer.

What pump are you now using on your Euroreef? My late 90's one, as of recent, has a 9.5 mag ( 7 yrs old ) with fractioning impeller swap....not so "Tune-able" but every 2-3 days its unreal everytime I go to dump it and clean, wife requires opening windows...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back