What's the worst thing you've ever dropped in your tank?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made myself a cup of tea (I'm English, living in Australia - forgive me) this afternoon and then, with mind clearly wandering, I wanted to look inside the sump for a second.

Without thinking about it, I put the mug on the tank bracing in order to free hands to open the cabinet doors...

No it didn't fall in - Absolutely no harm was done - but it did get me thinking...

I'll start - when first setting up the tank I dropped a - LIVE - 240volt powerboard in my tank. Lucky for me, my hands weren't in the tank at the time / the house safety switches instantly tripped, and there was no livestock in the tank at the time, so no harm done - apart from the instant jump in heart rate while I processed how bad that could have been....

Who can beat that ?
IMG_5177.jpg
worse thing for me was my phone... NEVER keep your phone on eggcrate lids. Its waterproof lucky me

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Australian sea apple...... first and only tank wipe. :(

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't me but found a whole playdoh Mr/Mrs, non gender potato head in my tank. Dont know how much chemicals are in playdoh and or how long it had been sitting in there for.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, this week I almost dropped my new reef light into the tank... that would've been bad!
Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My finger!! Dipped my hand in to scoop out some frozen food out of a small cup into a tank with several puffers, triggers and other meat eaters.. Porcupine Puffer took a good bite of the tip of my right ring finger. Strangest bite pattern... left a small bite hole and a blood blister.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made myself a cup of tea (I'm English, living in Australia - forgive me) this afternoon and then, with mind clearly wandering, I wanted to look inside the sump for a second.

Without thinking about it, I put the mug on the tank bracing in order to free hands to open the cabinet doors...

No it didn't fall in - Absolutely no harm was done - but it did get me thinking...

I'll start - when first setting up the tank I dropped a - LIVE - 240volt powerboard in my tank. Lucky for me, my hands weren't in the tank at the time / the house safety switches instantly tripped, and there was no livestock in the tank at the time, so no harm done - apart from the instant jump in heart rate while I processed how bad that could have been....

Who can beat that ?
IMG_5177.jpg
Lucky it just jumped lol

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I dropped my skimmer cup in the tank killed 4 fish instantly. Second my hand with a voltage leak. Third after my skimmer leaked a bit into tank causing Huge phosphate problem doing a phosphate test, put too much of the reagent in the test, and without thinking dumped it into the tank. I will tell you though don't know what is in it but cleared up my phosphate issue

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim auto fish feeders while refilling them.
Not me but I came home from my office, my mother in-law was watching my kids, I checked my tank and there were about 1/2 a dozen grapes in my tank. My 5 year old thought the fish needed fed (he is 19 yo now). When my wife tells the story she said she thought I was going to have a stroke.

AquaGemCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Who can beat that ?
IMG_5177.jpg
I had the same accident only mine was a light that fell into the tank while it was on. The dog hit the door on the tank stand and it made a clicking sound that scared him and he caught his leg on the light stand knocking the entire set over into the water. Thankfully I was near and was able to catch one of the 2 lights. The house safety switch instantly tripped and everything was ok. Except for one of the lights, which was soaked.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a toddler that was living with us at the time (it must have been him, it must have..) dropped a forged pair of pliers in the 50 gallon automatic Water Change reservoir that has a top on it and which I didn't see for quite some time, or at least as long as it took for them to turn solid

Apart from that I haven't found the next worse thing yet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back