What are the coolest things you've seen at reef shows?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reef2Reefers!

What do you love most about attending reef shows?

If you've ever attended any of the big national trade shows like ReefAPalooza, MACNA, Reefstock, or Aquashella, you know that these are always exciting events that are looked forward to with high anticipation. These shows bring together hobbyists of all levels, industry experts, innovators...all types of reefers under one roof. You get to see jaw-dropping displays of corals, rare fish, and cutting-edge equipment. So, what are the things you love about these events? What is it about these shows that makes them so special?

There's always something new to see! I want to create a series of posts discussing the cool things that happen at these shows that make me keep coming back for more! Today, let's talk about those crazy things you can often find at reef trade shows that you don't see anywhere else! One of the things I adore about reef trade shows is stumbling upon hidden gems – those corals or fish I've don't see often or some kind of rare color morph that's completely new to me. Vendors often bring their best and most sought after treasures to these events because these are the things that set their collection apart! I love stumbling across things that still shock me and renew that sense of awe that first drew me into this hobby! For example, I still remember at ReefAPalooza coming across the largest yellow tang I'd ever seen! The thing was HUGE!

Here's a photo:
5-big-yt-daniel-r2r-jpeg.2224722

I've also seen some of the most amazing color morphs of acans, acros, yumas, etc...the biggest bounce mushroom ever, and lots of other other crazy cool finds! What's your most memorable discovery at a trade show? Share your favorite memories of unique finds at reef trade shows!

If you're wondering what opportunities might be coming up, @Reef A Palooza Texas will be happening in October! Here are the deets on that: Reefapalooza Texas Oct 7-8

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reefers!

What do you love most about attending reef shows?

If you've ever attended any of the big national trade shows like ReefAPalooza, MACNA, Reefstock, or Aquashella, you know that these are always exciting events that are looked forward to with high anticipation. These shows bring together hobbyists of all levels, industry experts, innovators...all types of reefers under one roof. You get to see jaw-dropping displays of corals, rare fish, and cutting-edge equipment. So, what are the things you love about these events? What is it about these shows that makes them so special?

There's always something new to see! I want to create a series of posts discussing the cool things that happen at these shows that make me keep coming back for more! Today, let's talk about those crazy things you can often find at reef trade shows that you don't see anywhere else! One of the things I adore about reef trade shows is stumbling upon hidden gems – those corals or fish I've don't see often or some kind of rare color morph that's completely new to me. Vendors often bring their best and most sought after treasures to these events because these are the things that set their collection apart! I love stumbling across things that still shock me and renew that sense of awe that first drew me into this hobby! For example, I still remember at ReefAPalooza coming across the largest yellow tang I'd ever seen! The thing was HUGE!

Here's a photo:
5-big-yt-daniel-r2r-jpeg.2224722

I've also seen some of the most amazing color morphs of acans, acros, yumas, etc...the biggest bounce mushroom ever, and lots of other other crazy cool finds! What's your most memorable discovery at a trade show? Share your favorite memories of unique finds at reef trade shows!

If you're wondering what opportunities might be coming up, @Reef A Palooza Texas will be happening in October! Here are the deets on that: Reefapalooza Texas Oct 7-8
There are so many things I see, it's hard to pinpoint a favorite! I always enjoy seeing the large clam tanks, the various reef art that people are selling, or people that have these massive colonies of coral that they are selling!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t figure out how they set up the Aquariums with the Huge Coral Displays. Make it look like they’ve been growing for years, to get that result.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was blown away at the 2021 Chicago Aquashella. The entrance alone with all the art and displays made the 5+ hour trip worth it. The frags weren't bad either! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
PSX_20220617_104743.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been, so I can't answer yet. Reefapalooza Dallas will be my first big show. Been trying to get to Reefapalooza for 5 years, and I'm finally going next weekend. Can't wait! I'll answer the question when I get back. Hoping to see a lot of you there.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love seeing all the beautiful corals, pretty crazy some of the pieces you see. Also the art work is pretty cool to check out :)

Heist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s about finding that coral that you’ve been looking for, for a long time and finally getting a chance to get it. Been looking for a Frankenstein bounce mushroom for awhile and was able to snag one at RAP Anaheim

Heist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus the setups are amazing considering they have to setup and demo so fast

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been, so I can't answer yet. Reefapalooza Dallas will be my first big show. Been trying to get to Reefapalooza for 5 years, and I'm finally going next weekend. Can't wait! I'll answer the question when I get back. Hoping to see a lot of you there.
I hope you aren't disappointed but the Dallas show just doesn't seem to be near as good as the others RAPs. I'm hoping they do better than the prior year. I would really like for them to continue to include Dallas. We are just over saturated with frag swaps here. We had 8 or 9 shows/swaps in 2022 and 6 this year. Excluding Aquashella, I'm not sure the swaps are getting 50 people to show up. Great for me because the vendors are making great deals just to make some sales but bad in the long run. At least it won't be 105 outside like it was at the last swap I went to. Supposed to be in the 70s this weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back