National reefing events, which one ?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never been to the trade shows, always wanted to attend MACNA but there's reef-apoolza and reef fest and probably a few others I don't know about ?
Have you done any of these all of these ?
Was wondering which to attend for the hobbyist ?
We have done pretty much all the show at on time or another A vendor - they each have their strengths and focus. Here are my thoughts on there three major shows circuits and hat they offer to the Hobbyist.

Reef-A-palooza is becoming the "big show" - the one that usually has the most vendors and is primarily focused on the Saltwater hobbyist. The Upcoming Reef-A-Palooza Orlando is shaping up to be a HUGE show. Just about ever company is there and tons for coral vendors. Maybe the largest show of the year out of all of them,.

MACNA is good - especially if you like the talks and the presentations - they have a lot of that. You'll also usually see new equipment and product launches at this show.

Aquashella is fun and very different than the other two big show circuits. An Aquashella will have both salt and freshwater vendors (both livestock and dry goods/hardware), as well as lots of hobby related artists and social media personalities.

Reefstock in Denver has traditionaly been a good show. We didn't do this last one, so I can speak to that, but its worth checking out for next year since it already passed.

I would also suggest some of the smaller more local shows. You'll see lots of coral vendors and some of the big brands at these shows, if its local to their operations. Lots of those shows get listed in the sub-forum - so browse through them. For instance, we just got back form CT FRAG FARMERS MARKET (Connecticut Frag Farmers Market). it was an amazing 1-day show that had over 100 vendors (us included) and 1850+ people through the door.

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have done pretty much all the show at on time or another A vendor - they each have their strengths and focus. Here are my thoughts on there three major shows circuits and hat they offer to the Hobbyist.

Reef-A-palooza is becoming the "big show" - the one that usually has the most vendors and is primarily focused on the Saltwater hobbyist. The Upcoming Reef-A-Palooza Orlando is shaping up to be a HUGE show. Just about ever company is there and tons for coral vendors. Maybe the largest show of the year out of all of them,.

MACNA is good - especially if you like the talks and the presentations - they have a lot of that. You'll also usually see new equipment and product launches at this show.

Aquashella is fun and very different than the other two big show circuits. An Aquashella will have both salt and freshwater vendors (both livestock and dry goods/hardware), as well as lots of hobby related artists and social media personalities.

Reefstock in Denver has traditionaly been a good show. We didn't do this last one, so I can speak to that, but its worth checking out for next year since it already passed.

I would also suggest some of the smaller more local shows. You'll see lots of coral vendors and some of the big brands at these shows, if its local to their operations. Lots of those shows get listed in the sub-forum - so browse through them. For instance, we just got back form CT FRAG FARMERS MARKET (Connecticut Frag Farmers Market). it was an amazing 1-day show that had over 100 vendors (us included) and 1850+ people through the door.
Hey ,thanks for taking the time to reply and in such detail :) Cool to hear from someone who has been to pretty much all of them. Cant get much more of a better point of view.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is RAP only the "big show" for Orlando?

Because it seemed a lot smaller than Aquashella was in Dallas.

It still had a good turnout - I'm guessing a few thousand attendees - but Aquashella was absolutely massive with an enormous line waiting for early bird access.

(Both shows were big events I'm just comparing - don't take these comments as implying that RAP Dallas was 'dead')

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is RAP only the "big show" for Orlando?

Because it seemed a lot smaller than Aquashella was in Dallas.

It still had a good turnout - I'm guessing a few thousand attendees - but Aquashella was absolutely massive with an enormous line waiting for early bird access.

(Both shows were big events I'm just comparing - don't take these comments as implying that RAP Dallas was 'dead')
They are both big shows for sure. Aquashella is a mix of both freshwater, saltwater, art and reptiles, so I think it probably has a larger overall attendance. After all, Saltwater really is a niche of a niche market.

I think from a pure Saltwater Enthusiast/Hobbyist standpoint, RAP Orlando is definitely the "big show" . It is all Saltwater related. Especially this year - the floor plan for RAP is massive and near 100% full

1711476112475.png

Aquashella Dallas is just a month after RAP Orlando and has a huge floor plan too, but is not yet full - although it may be one more booth filled by the end of the week. We are making our final decision this week to between this show and another show in close proximity (learning toward Aquashella)

1711476201099.png

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you only interested in buying coral? If so then the answer is RAP. If you're a general hobbyist (salt, fresh, etc/) then Aquashella might be more your jam. I've also done MACNA and enjoyed the slower pace (though that may be because I went to the NOLA show when Harvey looked like it was headed straight for it). Aquatic Expo in Atlanta was the only one where I felt disappointed by the offerings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back