What's This Algae?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff appeared all over my DT over the past few weeks. I'm pretty sure that it is bryopsis, but it seems unusual for bryopsis to grow so long or in a new tank. If it helps, the algae can be found on the sand, glass, and algae. Some fronds of it are about 3-4 inches long, and it seems to form a mat. Apologies for the bad photo.

1671497930450.png

In the instance that it is bryopsis, what should I do about it? I'd rather avoid using something like Reef Flux, and would prefer to use a natural deterrent. What sort of fish/invertebrate would eat this in a 65 gallon tank? I know that foxface often do, but I don't think that my tank is big enough. Thanks!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vaguely look like a hydroid. How long have you noticed it being in there?

Definitely not a hydroid. That was a bad photo, but they are green and cover much of the tank. This photo shows one of the larger patches. It first appeared a few days after putting water in the tank, which was a little less than two weeks. I thought that it was hair algae at first. The tank was set up with live rock from Florida, if that helps. This photo shows one of the large patches. (Although not in very good detail)

1671499833168.png

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a hydroid. That was a bad photo, but they are green and cover much of the tank. This photo shows one of the larger patches. It first appeared a few days after putting water in the tank, which was a little less than two weeks. I thought that it was hair algae at first. The tank was set up with live rock from Florida, if that helps. This photo shows one of the large patches. (Although not in very good detail)

1671499833168.png
Sorry, the way the photo was taken sorta showed a hydroid shape

1671499998631.png

I'm very bad at algae ID so I wouldn't know

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just confirming that this branching stuff is dictyota? From my research emerald crabs and urchins will eat this too, and the cure is similar to bryopsis. Would turning the lights off for a few weeks have any effect on the algae? I haven't gotten any coral yet, so this seems like a potential solution. Thanks!

1671659251518.png

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say bryopsis due to the fern like quality of the individual hairs

Thank you! Do you have any ideas as to how to get rid of it? I know I'll probably need to dose something like Reef Flux, but if a fish or invertebrate can do the job, that would be better.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef flux works to get rid of bryopsis. Be careful though, my phosphates went from .02 to .25 after treating my tank.. then it lead to cyano. Can't seem to fully beat back the bryopsis, it's a royal pain for me. Hope you have better luck than me!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to wonder if this is actually bryopsis. The feathers coming off the main stem are on all sides of the stem, making it look like a bottlebrush. All the images of bryopsis I can find show the feathers on only two sides. It is also a light brownish-green instead of the dark green the bryopsis on the internet shows. It is also slightly translucent, and most of it is at least a few inches long. It also seems unusual for bryopsis to grow on the glass. Thoughts?

1672243764189.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back