What's wrong with my Millie's!

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

I have a strange problem which is impacting only my milleporas.

Over the last few days what I noticed is that only my Millie's were showing some tissue loss. -all other acros look good.

Parameters have been stable for quite some time now.

Alk: 9 dkh
Cal: 470
Mag: 1360
Salinity: 1.025

Nitrates - <5 ppm
Phosphates- 0.02

All were tested using Red Sea test kits

Here is a pic of what my Millie's look like:

IMG_2202.JPG

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They lose flesh over a few days and die, this happened to my green milli and is now impacting my purple!

Can't figure out what the bell is going on!

Rev

gioNVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue a long time ago. Found a crab that is munching on the millepora polyps at night.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check your tds from your rodi, we had some issues over here in pacnw when the water company changed their water supply and the rodi filters where not changed and this happened to some acros. Also run some carbon incase there is some chemical in the water

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something in the water is making them mad. Obviously something you aren’t/can’t test(ing) for that is bothering only the Millie’s. I’d predict it to continue till whatever it is is corrected. If you can’t find out what it is, run some carbon, polyfilter, and do a series of 30% water changes every couple days to at least “reset” everything. Replace the Rodi filters, try a new batch of salt, ect. Reset the water. Has worked for me anyway when having this happen

Ty1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic( for me anyway) did you just mount these millie's? or is there any base on the rocks that has died back as well?

Ty1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for the question is, I have had the same looking STN on SPS when freshly mounted in the system, it was a combo of not wearing latex gloves when handling and mounting (finger placement burn) the frag and the kind of glue used.

OP
OP
Y

Yrevanth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These have been in the system for about 2 months now.

The damage you see is from the last 2 days. The base is not damaged at all..

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for the question is, I have had the same looking STN on SPS when freshly mounted in the system, it was a combo of not wearing latex gloves when handling and mounting (finger placement burn) the frag and the kind of glue used.

I have to disagree with the handling of corals without gloves. Ive worked with thousands of corals including sps and never had any issue with coral being touched by human skin. Also i have never had any issue with various kinds of super glue gel causing any issue at all. Was this personal experience or something you read somewhere?

Ty1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with the handling of corals without gloves. Ive worked with thousands of corals including sps and never had any issue with coral being touched by human skin. Also i have never had any issue with various kinds of super glue gel causing any issue at all. Was this personal experience or something you read somewhere?
Personal experience for sure, I was my hands before (no soap) but still my sps react poorly to direct touching, so I've went to using gloves when handling them.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is about 50ppm too high, but that shouldn't cause this. Maybe pest related as millepora are AEFW magnets.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back