What's wrong with my Powder Brown Tang?

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea what is wrong with this tang? She has always just steadily swam around the tank - kind of annoyingly to be honest LOL - but as of this morning she was slowly swimming, kind of bumping into the rocks and glass and hasn't eaten out of two feedings today. Actually looked like she was intentionally bumping her chest onto the rocks. But as of now (5pm) she is just sitting in the corner here kind of freaking out. She is the newest in the tank as of about a week ago. Was eating fine, getting along, etc. Parameters: Calc 560 (it's been steadily high so I'm not adding any until it drops); Alk 9.3, Mag 1,280; Phos 0.62 (did 10% water change about an hour ago and added Phosguard to media to help get down); Salinity 35ppt; Temp 80.1; Nitrate 10. I don't notice anything on her on either side - looks pretty clean. Food is a mix of mysis shrimp and TDO pellets. I also clip some seaweed into the tank occasionally but she has never gone for it. Always scared of the clip or something. lol. She has always had an anxious personality. Sorry for long post. Just wanted to provide the data you all might end up asking for.

Attachments

• Powder Brown Tank, What's Wrong.mp4
    17.6 MB

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything on the outside of the fish. How long has the tank been set up? How big is the tank, what other fish are in there?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zoa what responded in the other thread. Appears to be bullying

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw from previous thread that this is a 32g tank? Tangs will not work out in a tank that small.

OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32g biocube. I'll be moving to 150g once done cycling in a month or so. This is a temporary stop. Probably a little overstocked, but I took on a couple extra fish as a favor. I have 4 clowns, a small sailfin tang and a small blue tang. All other fish look alright, are eating well, etc.

OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out @zoa what's comments on other post. I'll keep an eye on that. But it is by far the largest in the tank. And I've not seen anyone in the tank being aggressive. So, that's the diagnosis I guess, being bullied? No worry of some odd disease I should be worried about?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out @zoa what's comments on other post. I'll keep an eye on that. But it is by far the largest in the tank. And I've not seen anyone in the tank being aggressive. So, that's the diagnosis I guess, being bullied? No worry of some odd disease I should be worried about?
Perhaps ask @Jay Hemdal to evaluate the respiration rate? I'm no good at that.

If I'm reading your first post correctly, the PBrT has been in the tank approximately one week? Tangs are notorious for carrying Ich, and rapid respiration along with loss of appetite can be early signs of Ich or other disease.

Tangs have high metabolisms and should be eating throughout the day. Do you have Nori/seaweed available? She needs to eat soon or it's going to be bad and likely fatal.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn I can’t see the photo from my iPhone.

Tangs running into the glass on purpose could be a sign the tang wants more room to swim, or space away from others in the tank. They can get really sick from this type of stress.

If you have multiple tangs and all looks fine during the day, check back at night when they go to their caves. they should each have their own. If not, they’re more likely to strike each other for that territory. I’ve seen this happen late at night, after 10pm and I added more caves to curb the aggression.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea what is wrong with this tang? She has always just steadily swam around the tank - kind of annoyingly to be honest LOL - but as of this morning she was slowly swimming, kind of bumping into the rocks and glass and hasn't eaten out of two feedings today. Actually looked like she was intentionally bumping her chest onto the rocks. But as of now (5pm) she is just sitting in the corner here kind of freaking out. She is the newest in the tank as of about a week ago. Was eating fine, getting along, etc. Parameters: Calc 560 (it's been steadily high so I'm not adding any until it drops); Alk 9.3, Mag 1,280; Phos 0.62 (did 10% water change about an hour ago and added Phosguard to media to help get down); Salinity 35ppt; Temp 80.1; Nitrate 10. I don't notice anything on her on either side - looks pretty clean. Food is a mix of mysis shrimp and TDO pellets. I also clip some seaweed into the tank occasionally but she has never gone for it. Always scared of the clip or something. lol. She has always had an anxious personality. Sorry for long post. Just wanted to provide the data you all might end up asking for.
As the last person said, this appears to be neurological, possibly from running into something in the tank. Is there a bruise below its mouth? There are also parasites that can migrate into the nervous system. Then, some fish are collected with cyanide, and that can cause lasting damage - but this species isn’t usually capture that way.
Sorry - I don’t have any treatment options for you though.
Jay

OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New video as of this morning. Right eye has what looks to be silver or bubbles in it. The left eye looks alright.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.mp4
    9.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New video as of this morning. Right eye has what looks to be silver or bubbles in it. The left eye looks alright.
The bubbles in one eye like that is a sign of mechanical damage. I’m afraid that pretty much clinches it - this poor fish tank into something or otherwise suffered some sort of trauma. I’ve seen these bubbles go away on their own, but not when they are this severe. Sorry!
Jay

OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles in one eye like that is a sign of mechanical damage. I’m afraid that pretty much clinches it - this poor fish tank into something or otherwise suffered some sort of trauma. I’ve seen these bubbles go away on their own, but not when they are this severe. Sorry!
Jay
Shoot. But thank you for the answer @Jay Hemdal .

OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Last question, does that mean it will lose the eye? Or probably die?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question, does that mean it will lose the eye? Or probably die?
Sometimes, these bubbles reabsorb, other times, the eye is lost. Personally, I think this fish is too damaged to survive. If it starts to feed, that indicates that I could be wrong, and might get better. If it doesn’t feed for the next 48 hours, I would consider euthanizing it.
Jay

Back