What's wrong with my sailfin

TenWings5007130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to my sailfin freaking out and breathing really heavily and red and what looks to be brown around her face and eyes, and I found my bicolor foxface dead so I was wondering could a sting from the foxface cause this?

Attachments

• 20240518_155850.mp4
    33.2 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I woke up this morning to my sailfin freaking out and breathing really heavily and red and what looks to be brown around her face and eyes, and I found my bicolor foxface dead so I was wondering could a sting from the foxface cause this?
I cant see the side of the fish but it appears to have extensive damage on the mouth either from injury or erosion of the skin. A sting not likely but with loss of foxface, I question either water quality or disease such as flukes. Would like to see the side of the fish and is fish eating at all?
Add an air stone as soon as possible while this gets sorted out, and even a water change

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see the side of the fish but it appears to have extensive damage on the mouth either from injury or erosion of the skin. A sting not likely but with loss of foxface, I question either water quality or disease such as flukes. Would like to see the side of the fish and is fish eating at all?
Add an air stone as soon as possible while this gets sorted out, and even a water change
He ate yesterday but I changed everything with the water and everything checked out and none of my other fish are affected

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he's staying in the flow

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20240518_165712.mp4
    15.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081 - your tang has run into something and is injured. However, this could be a "chicken / egg" scenario - did it run into something first, or does it have a parasite that caused it to freak out and then run into something? Given that the foxface died, I think you have some disease process going on - either flukes or velvet....

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081 - your tang has run into something and is injured. However, this could be a "chicken / egg" scenario - did it run into something first, or does it have a parasite that caused it to freak out and then run into something? Given that the foxface died, I think you have some disease process going on - either flukes or velvet....
My other fish are affected like my purple tang, blue hippo tang, and naso, so I don't know

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other fish are affected like my purple tang, blue hippo tang, and naso, so I don't know

Can you post a video of the other fish? I'm going offline for the night, but the other medics will see it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant aren't affected sorry

Well, if it were a protozoan infection like velvet, the other fish would be affected. Flukes can start with one fish and then spread, but even then, if flukes were causing the sailfin to breath this fast, I would expect the other tangs to at least started with an infection themselves.

I saw some aeration going in the one video, so that's good.

I guess the one thing to try would be prazipro, dosed for the actual water volume of the tank, 2x, 8 days apart. I'm not 100% sure that it is flukes, but that seems the best way to go given the symptoms.

Jay

OP
OP
T

TenWings5007130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it were a protozoan infection like velvet, the other fish would be affected. Flukes can start with one fish and then spread, but even then, if flukes were causing the sailfin to breath this fast, I would expect the other tangs to at least started with an infection themselves.

I saw some aeration going in the one video, so that's good.

I guess the one thing to try would be prazipro, dosed for the actual water volume of the tank, 2x, 8 days apart. I'm not 100% sure that it is flukes, but that seems the best way to go given the symptoms.

Jay
Here's a better video

Attachments

• 20240519_131506.mp4
    28.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a better video

It sure looks beat up. Flukes can make a fish look sort of "tattered", so I still think that prazi is the clearest course of action here....

Back