What's wrong with these zoas?

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this colony for about 2.5 weeks. It was drip acclimated and dipped in Bayer. Initially, everyone was open and happy, but over the past week or so, a couple of areas have started closing during the day, nd some are half open. I can't see any obvious growths, spots, etc on them, but the closed areas seem to be spreading. I removed and dipped 3 days ago in CoralRx. Is there any way to diagnose what might be going on here?

Livestock: Canycane (very happy), Cauliflower colt (very happy), fire shrimp, sexy shrimp, several astria snails, lots of pods (some amphipods), chaeto in sump.

30 G system with 300GPH internal powerhead and 7x main pump turnover
NH3,N02, N03, Po4, Si => undetectable
Temp: 77.5
SG: 1.025
pH: 8.3 Alk: 9.5 Ca: 470 Mg: 1300

zoas.jpg

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had noticed, a few days after introducing the zoas and a mushroom, that there was a bloom of tiny white dots all over the tank's hard surfaces, but not on any corals. They're non-motile and very calicified. Definitely not star shaped though. I did a CoralRx dip. Is there anything else I could try?

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 no3 and 0 po4 is your problem

Would the other corals be doing so well, though? Everyone else looks very good, although there aren't many corals. Just a candy cane, cauliflower, and mushroom, all doing well.

If I add a fish, would that solve it? I've been ghost feeding small amounts of flake/pellets every few days, but I'm wondering if the chaeto is removing too much? I know trace amounts of P04 and N03 are needed, but I figured they were just below thresholds of my test kits (sea chem).

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt your problem is nutrient related. It looks to be pest related on how there closed in areas. Had the same issue when nudibranchs were present or random asterinas. Test kits can be misleading when reading 0 on nitrate and phosphate, I'm sure some is present. The other corals you have like nutrients so I'm staying with pests since the other corals look good.

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can amphipods do this? I saw one motoring around a few days ago, but haven't seen it doing anything to any of the heads.

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. When should I consider pulling it out? I'd hate to compromise the other corals in the tank. Its worth considering fragging off the healthy parts?

I've done several CoralRx and Bayer dips, but are there other pest dips that I could try, that might cover a different part of the pest spectrum?

Last edited:

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you see any white spots on them? are they getting brown stuff on them? like bacteria infection? you can always try a peroxide dip, or an iodine dip. if you see the white spots then i zoa pox, then you have to go and do furan 2 dips, everybody says zoas are easy, they are not... they are finicky as hell. sometimes they close up and just melt... could be too much lighting, or too little. if it were me and I was really worried, I would frag off a section of not yet closed ones, and put it on the other side of the tank. you may dip it in something and it not like the dip, and stress out too much and not recover. that way you still have some of the strain, if it recovers then great, you have 2 pieces, or you can put the other back next to it no harm done.

OP
OP
P

pacificdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, pete. No spots or brown stuff, but I"m leaning toward your suggestion of fragging off some of the healthy ones, and seeing how it goes. A few more seem to close each day. Thanks for the input.

luca1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have in your tank? Do you have any Angels in your tank? I don't think its a water issue due to them being closed in that one spot. When I discovered pests were on my zoes, all of the polyps were closed.

ilan84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I allready told you, you have to raise your no3 and po4 levels!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I allready told you, you have to raise your no3 and po4 levels!
Calm down, were all trying to help here. No need to be assertive. Plus, that is not his issue and the OP has got great advice from many trying to help. If it was a nutrient issue his whole tank would suffer with the other corals he keeps.

poorish idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. When should I consider pulling it out? I'd hate to compromise the other corals in the tank. Its worth considering fragging off the healthy parts?

I've done several CoralRx and Bayer dips, but are there other pest dips that I could try, that might cover a different part of the pest spectrum?

I concur...one of the biggest issues is our impatience in the hobby. the constant dipping may irritate it further in my opinion...i would wait itnout..mayne do some extra water changes..dont think it's nutrients at all....

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 24.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back