What's Your Normal Skim Color?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what your normal skim color is? My Bubble Magus Curve 12 just started producing skim after breaking in and it's a dark yellow. Not sure if I want it lighter or darker.

Skimmate is the hobby term, foamate the engineering term for the condensed foam :)

The more foam you collect per hour, the more organic material you remove per hour. An added benefit of wet skimming is that the skimmer throat does not build up dark gelatinous mass as quickly. The downside is the large volume of skimmate formed and the more frequent collection cup draining.

How one manages skimmate production ultimately comes down to deciding how often one wants to empty the collection cup rather than to maximize or optimize organic matter removal.

mosash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what your normal skim color is? My Bubble Magus Curve 12 just started producing skim after breaking in and it's a dark yellow. Not sure if I want it lighter or darker.

I have a new setup and first time using a skimmer, Bubble Magus Curve 5. What is considered the neck of the skimmer? Also, what setting do you guys have it set at? It's currently producing wet skimmate on setting 3. The tank is done cycling and I'll be adding fish next week. Let's be real, I'm basically a noob. Appreciate the guidance.
423A676F-B77D-4481-A390-FC1A0C914CFA.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new setup and first time using a skimmer, Bubble Magus Curve 5. What is considered the neck of the skimmer? Also, what setting do you guys have it set at? It's currently producing wet skimmate on setting 3. The tank is done cycling and I'll be adding fish next week. Let's be real, I'm basically a noob. Appreciate the guidance.
423A676F-B77D-4481-A390-FC1A0C914CFA.jpeg

All skimmers have similar features. There is the “reaction” chamber where the bubbles rise through the water and a conical section that forces the wide column of foam into a straight narrower section of pipe or “throat”.

I noticed black material has deposited on the conical section. This probably occurred when either the water was too low in the reaction chamber or air flow was too low or both. Ideally, this material should no deposit so low in equipment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back