Whelk ?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail ID is difficult for me, but I'm inclined to say either a Tenguella spp. or Morula spp. - I'd guess probably either Tenguella marginalba or Tenguella granulata - though I'm leaning toward T. marginalba because of the back/rear portion of the shell being so much narrower than the front.

If you think it looks like either of these, I'd sump it and offer it some cerith snails and oysters. If it eats either of these, then I'd feel pretty justified in my guess.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is black and does not burry into the sand like my others
I skipped this post. 100% whelk. Also, my mind is in a weird state. So, the image of the snail is reversed. In other words I confused the front of the shell as a back of a conch shell. Shame on me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is black and does not burry into the sand like my others
Just went on my computer screen which is larger than phone and this may actually be fighting conch-

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail ID is difficult for me, but I'm inclined to say either a Tenguella spp. or Morula spp. - I'd guess probably either Tenguella marginalba or Tenguella granulata - though I'm leaning toward T. marginalba because of the back/rear portion of the shell being so much narrower than the front.

If you think it looks like either of these, I'd sump it and offer it some cerith snails and oysters. If it eats either of these, then I'd feel pretty justified in my guess.
Okay will do

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a bit more digging, if it has two eyes further up the “trunk” it’s possible that it might actually be a turbo snail (if you search for photos of Mexican Turbo Snails, you’ll find a few, with shells that look like that, and which have the “feelers” this guy has - some seem have similar coloration, others don’t) - the “trunk” is honestly the main thing that’s making me think it’s something else, as generally turbo snail “trunks” are short and stout, whereas this one seems longer and skinnier.

All of that said, it may also be a Drupella spp. (which would be coral predators) - either way, I’d sump it with the oyster and cerith as mentioned, and toss in an algae wafer or nori sheet. If it eats the algae/nori, you’re in the clear. If it doesn’t take any of those, you can offer it an Acro, Pocilliopora, or Monti and see if it eats corals.

Anyway, if it’s not a turbo snail, it’s likely some sort of Muricid snail, likely more specifically a “drupe” snail (which narrows the number of genera to sort through considerably), and most likely not reef safe.

Hope this helps, and hopefully you can get a positive ID on it soon!

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a bit more digging, if it has two eyes further up the “trunk” it’s possible that it might actually be a turbo snail (if you search for photos of Mexican Turbo Snails, you’ll find a few, with shells that look like that, and which have the “feelers” this guy has - some seem have similar coloration, others don’t) - the “trunk” is honestly the main thing that’s making me think it’s something else, as generally turbo snail “trunks” are short and stout, whereas this one seems longer and skinnier.

All of that said, it may also be a Drupella spp. (which would be coral predators) - either way, I’d sump it with the oyster and cerith as mentioned, and toss in an algae wafer or nori sheet. If it eats the algae/nori, you’re in the clear. If it doesn’t take any of those, you can offer it an Acro, Pocilliopora, or Monti and see if it eats corals.

Anyway, if it’s not a turbo snail, it’s likely some sort of Muricid snail, likely more specifically a “drupe” snail (which narrows the number of genera to sort through considerably), and most likely not reef safe.

Hope this helps, and hopefully you can get a positive ID on it soon!
Okay many thanks it has either hidden in a rock which is unlikely as there are not many spaces in my rock to hide or it has gone into the sand is that common with whelks

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay many thanks it has either hidden in a rock which is unlikely as there are not many spaces in my rock to hide or it has gone into the sand is that common with whelks
Whelks (with the exception of Nassarius) tend not to go into the sand. If it's in the sand it's probably either a conch or Nassarius. It still might not hurt to sump it as others have recommended, just until you have verification that it's not a predatory snail.

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelks (with the exception of Nassarius) tend not to go into the sand. If it's in the sand it's probably either a conch or Nassarius. It still might not hurt to sump it as others have recommended, just until you have verification that it's not a predatory snail.
I have a fluval evo so don’t have a proper sump as such should I just put it in a container with an algae wafer and see if it eats it ?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a fluval evo so don’t have a proper sump as such should I just put it in a container with an algae wafer and see if it eats it ?
Probably. I wouldn't leave it in the tank with the high possibility of it being a predator.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same Conch. These guys are just plain awesome. Ate my long gha like it was a snack. Sand bed is white and clean because they do so much work.
I think of it as a lazy eater, makes me laugh when fully buried and just eyes out, then grabs a snack with snout :) :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 71.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back