Is that Nessarius or Whelk ?

Lobophyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i introduced nerite snail in my tank, and the snail i believe are nessarius are eating them, could they be whelk ? thx

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius you will mostly see in the sand bed, unless right after feeding or at night.

Nassarius "glide" across the glass and sand, whelks typically move slower.

Nassarius snails shouldn't eat other live snails. The only way for a nassarius snails to eat other snails, would be if the snail died.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snail in your photo is definitely a nassarius, but as Walker Loves_The Ocean said, nassarius only eat what is already dead. I have several in my tank, and they do not go after anything but detritus, and something that has died. Never anything living, it is not their nature.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like the nassarius snails I’ve had in my tank for over two years. I did have a whelk hitchhiker in my tank. I noticed 3 empty bumble bee snail shells and then caught it eating a fourth. They are typically nocturnal.
31EF4140-EE39-42C0-9371-1AF6986105B4.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lobophyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like the nassarius snails I’ve had in my tank for over two years. I did have a whelk hitchhiker in my tank. I noticed 3 empty bumble bee snail shells and then caught it eating a fourth. They are typically nocturnal.
Excuse me if it sound wrong, english is not my main langage, you think the snail on my picture is a whelk ?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me if it sound wrong, english is not my main langage, you think the snail on my picture is a whelk ?
There are many types of whelks, technically nassarius snails are whelks but not all whelks are predators. It looks similar but not exactly like the one I had but it is hard to tell from a picture. Perhaps the nerites died of something else and those snails were doing their job of cleaning up the carcass. However whatever would kill the nerites in the water would do the same to the other inverts. My whelk did not go under the sand like my nassarius snails, keep an eye out for that. We have a saying, when in doubt pull it out.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad whelks dont glide they move like bumblebee snails. Good whelks the sand snails glide on the sand and glass. Although im not 100% certain all bad whelks move like bumblebee snails likewise with the good snails but atleast whst ive seen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is nassarius. Sand is a maybe. Whelks get larger, have a tattooed snout and spend most of their time on the glass or rocks
The pic show a trailing tail which whelks do not have

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back