Whelks vs Nassarious

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received several nassarius snails from Reefcleaners quite awhile ago. These are the only 2 left...hmmm.

I've also lost most of my other snails as well...hmmm.

These are only "feet" pics, but they have that "speckled" look like a whelk snail. I don't recall past nassarious snails having this speckled assistance from underneath. These guys don't really like going under the sand much,
either. Any snail experts have an idea?
20210203_182922.jpg

20210203_182918.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a snail expert (more of a slug guy ;) ) but those do look a little off. Plus I don't think mine have ever gone onto the glass

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the snails are dead because reefcleaners ships dead snails. Idk what's changed over the last decade but quality has gone downhill. Used to arrive alive, last awhile, And include plenty of extras to cover any die offs. Last few years its like he grabs a handful of whatever is at the bottom of the holding tanks, nothing from the walls, and I get a mix of dead snails, empty shells and a few live snails if I'm lucky. My last 3 orders have been terrible and I've moved on.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received whelks from them before as well.... he told me I didn't know what I was talking about! Once was in an order of various cuc, and the other time they came in with a bag of chaeto.

Hard to tell from the photos... I can usually identify them from their snout and shell. I do have nassarius that climb on the glass, but only after they come up out of the sand. If you feed and you see them coming out from the rocks, those are the bad ones.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received whelks from them before as well.... he told me I didn't know what I was talking about! Once was in an order of various cuc, and the other time they came in with a bag of chaeto.

Hard to tell from the photos... I can usually identify them from their snout and shell. I do have nassarius that climb on the glass, but only after they come up out of the sand. If you feed and you see them coming out from the rocks, those are the bad ones.

Here's a pic of one of their shells and foot again. I just don't get a good feeling on it.

20210204_201533.jpg

20210204_201549.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my nassarius snail have mottled or speckled flesh. Usually, a mud whelk has a longer, thicker proboscis than a nassarius and it has a tattooed appearance. (But like the foot, not all nassarius snails have solid colored snouts, so this isn’t definitive either). I do remember the one thing that was definitely different - a mud whelk has a harder operculum, and it closes entirely. The nassarius has a flimsier cover. Sorry, it’s hard to describe, lol. If it were me, if it doesn’t bury itself in the sand, and if it is out on the glass and rocks during the daytime when you aren’t feeding, I’d assume it’s predatory and remove it.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hi,

I have never had a problem with RC. My last ship was great.

i am the same way on the ID. I went with the snout first, followed by shell characteristics.

My thought here is, if we are not 100% positive and you are going to have it in the back of your mind throw it in the sump or other safe some.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, there’s the possibility that you’ve got one of the many other species of very similar looking snails....

p.s. O-H ;)
I-O

I have had many nassarious, but these two in my tank seem different...

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's a pic of one of their shells and foot again. I just don't get a good feeling on it.

20210204_201533.jpg

20210204_201549.jpg

That is a Nassarius snail. Nassarius have a rounded front, the predators you are concerned about have a tapered siphonal notch. You should be OK. If you believe it to be a species different than a Nassarius, if you can let me know which I may be able to help you compare the two and put your mind at ease.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Nassarius snail. Nassarius have a rounded front, the predators you are concerned about have a tapered siphonal notch. You should be OK. If you believe it to be a species different than a Nassarius, if you can let me know which I may be able to help you compare the two and put your mind at ease.
Thanks! I don't think I have those snails any longer...or at least I haven't seen them in a long time. This post was from 1/5 years ago, lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back